Best analog scanner for search and discovery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baskt_Case

As the title says, what is the absolute best non-digital (analog) scanner for search and discovery. Preferable to have a very wide range covering as many bands as possible. My main focus is PW (EMS/Fire/Law) but I like to listen to anything interesting and always like catching military stuff, including MilAir.

And is there a scanner besides the HP-1 that will record/save any found CTCSS or DCS tones while searching?

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
As the title says, what is the absolute best non-digital (analog) scanner for search and discovery. Preferable to have a very wide range covering as many bands as possible. My main focus is PW (EMS/Fire/Law) but I like to listen to anything interesting and always like catching military stuff, including MilAir.

And is there a scanner besides the HP-1 that will record/save any found CTCSS or DCS tones while searching?

I think that the BCT15X - The RadioReference Wiki is the best analog scanner on the market.

The BCT15X can record and log hits using FreeScan. FreeScan User Guide - The RadioReference Wiki

I think the PSR-800 is the only other scanner with record built in.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
The Uniden BCT-15 or 15X is a good scanner for searching for new freqs and different things to listen to.I myself scan the MilAir bands with it,I sometimes use close call or I scan the service bands that are already setup in it.

KE5TLF

As stated the 15's are great. If you want a trunktracker with the absolute most bands possilble the BR330T is the only choice really.

Baskt_Case

Ok, all things considered so far, the 15's sound like a great choice, but at that price point it seems I might as well jump into a second-hand 996XT, right? Unless I can score a dirt-cheap second-hand 15 or the mentioned 330T.

Will the 330T help me identify unknown tones?

KE5TLF

BR330T - The RadioReference Wiki

Yes it does CTCSS/DCS decode. Doubt you'll find one dirt cheap though considering they are kinda hard to come by.

Honestly, if you've got the money, it's really hard not to recommend a digital scanner these days if you're at least somewhat interested in most everything. No idea where you're at but if you're in an area with much Federal level stuff then digital really is a must. That includes USCG, Civil Air Patrol, most any military base comms to at least some extent, along with the usual obvious Fed stuff (FBI, DEA, USMS, CBP, ICE, etc)

Last edited:

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Well basically you might be able to listen to more if you have a digital capable scanner.

Baskt_Case

Well, I just received a hand-me-down PRO-2050. Coverage is pretty skimpy but at least I can set up searches in the PW range which is what I'm focusing on right now. Maybe a disc-tap to play with later. Our local agency is running Law Dispatch and Talk on an expired license with many new licenses that appear to be unused so there seems to be lots to discover around here.

Maybe, if I'm lucky, I'll be able to get a 996XT at tax time, thats what I would like to have anyway.

Baskt_Case

What about wideband receivers???

Ok, bored, doing alot of reading. I'm looking at these wideband handhelds, the ICOM R6, RX7, and R20. As well as the Alinco DJ-X 11T.

They all scan, quite fast too, upwards of 100ch/s. And theres no gaps from ~100KHz - ~1.3GHz (less cellular). Tons of memories plus tone decoding.

No, they dont follow trunking or do P25, but that doesnt really matter to me in this. What I'm really liking is the coverage combined with the fast scanning, for about ~$200.

Whats the consensus on these little radios?

Last edited:

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned

Uniden 780xlt's are great for searching anything analog,including mil-air!
Also the feature of 10 separate search limits are self explanatory. ;)

n9zas

kg4ojj

Premium Subscriber
To help Baskt_Case (and because I'm curious), wouldn't a scanner with the fastest search speed be best in this situation?

The original question deals with "search and discovery."

If so, which recently released scanner (or "antique" scanner) has the fastest search speed?

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
To help Baskt_Case (and because I'm curious), wouldn't a scanner with the fastest search speed be best in this situation?

The original question deals with "search and discovery."

If so, which recently released scanner (or "antique" scanner) has the fastest search speed?

Well for recently released,the Uniden Bearcat BCD996XT and the HomePatrol-1 have the fastest search speed with 100 channels per second.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.