Best antenna for a Yaesu ft-270 / vx-170 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arctic

I have tried various antennas instead of the original rubber duck. Most of them are from Diamond, Comet and Nagoya. All are dual band antennas because i am unable to fint any full size VHF antennas with a SMA connector. None of them seem to outperform the original shortened antenna. What i am looking for is good performance on 2m, if it works OK at the marine VHF band that is a bonus. Any suggestions?

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I have tried various antennas instead of the original rubber duck. Most of them are from Diamond, Comet and Nagoya. All are dual band antennas because i am unable to fint any full size VHF antennas with a SMA connector. None of them seem to outperform the original shortened antenna. What i am looking for is good performance on 2m, if it works OK at the marine VHF band that is a bonus. Any suggestions?

Another antenna, that seems to work pretty well anywhere in the VHF band(146-173MHz) is the stock ??'Sable'?? Antenna that comes with the VX-231 handhelds. I use 2 at work, and have had pretty remarkable results. In the attached photo there is a flag with a red arrow. At that location there is a VHF (172.XXXMHz TX/172.XXXMHz RX) repeater, the red crosshairs are a location that I have used this repeater at with nothing more than the stock antenna. As you can see that is in excess of 50Km using a 5w portable. While this is one spot I 100% know that I have used this repeater at, I have been both closer and farther with the same results.

I have had zero issues using this repeater in almost every location with in the Cold Lake Air Weapons Range, although in some low areas, the repeater is spotty on a portable. The other option is a helical antenna. It can be cut to what ever frequency centre you need.
a3utaqag.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

arctic

I might also have underestimated the original rubber duck antenna, it seems to perform OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.