Best Antenna for airshow monitoring a stubby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

USFMD82

I am interested in a better Antenna, I currently have a Pro-96 and a BC250d I primarily (well almost exclusively use at airshows). Being Im in such close range of the signals, what could I expect to get out of a stubby, would I have noticeable loss of signals?

A few weekends ago i noticed quite a bit of static during the show while the blue angels were up, any idea what that could be, could my stock antenna be going bad or what?

Any other ideas for a good Airshow monitoring Antenna with me being right there?

Also anyone know about a decent antenna that I could pick up CB's on for when Im driving to the shows, I can never pick CB stations up with my stock.

When I was looking at alot of these items, I noticed they say 2 meters, what is this frequency range?

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
CB operates on the 27 mhz. range and 2 meters operates on 144-148 mhz. so you'll need a longer duck.
As far as the noise you receive on air band,keep in mind that electrical and atmospheric noise is often present on the AM aircraft band.
n9zas

USFMD82

So I guess as far as the noise I cant do much about it other than tolerate it?

So a Stubby would not work for purely Airshow monitoring? UHF/VHF air?

I guess im SOL on the CB thing for the time being then..

Alliance01TX

Premium Subscriber
Air Show Antenna

Howdy

If the Air Shows you are going to are mostly Military (with some Civilian) then you will likely need coverage in the 118~144 AM (some FM) ranges and Military Air Bands that range in the 240~400 Mhz areas, depending on the Airports / Locations and most importantly if the B2 or F-22 / F-35 are performing a flyover to catch the Comm's and Inter-plane Comm's too, along with the normal Air Boss freq's that are well published.

So I would recommend staying with a Stock Antenna or looking at a Tri-Band Type Antenna from a Ham Radio Store (on line) that will cover the band well. I would invest in either a good belt holster to put the radio in, so as not to worry about the Antenna length.

This said, if you are on the Airport grounds you perhaps could use a 4" stubby and perhaps get most of the action due to close-in action...It really depends, but if I spent the time and money to go to a Air Show, well I would get a solid Antenna....

My opinions....and Enjoy the shows!!

Thx

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.