best antenna for Aviation

Spooky527

im a plane spotter, i was using a 125at but it was lost in the field, i found a great deall on a used 436hp, and aside from the learning curve I need to know the best antenna for aviation including mil air. its mobile with me when i go on locations so the portablility. help. forgive me is this was a prrevious post. i was not able to find it. thanks in advance.

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
I have both the 901 Air Gainer and several of the Maldol 500s. Both are good with the big nod going to the Maldol, again if you can find one. As mentioned, it's quite long and wobbly. I use it on my Uniden 325P2 and Yupiteru 7100. I also use the Diamond RH-77 as I feel the size of it is a decent compromise for the receive results I get. That usually is my go to antenna when I go to airshows. I recently became aware of an antenna made by a guy in the UK called the Broadsword. Darren is his name and the plane spotters in the UK seem to like his antennas. I ordered three different ones and the Civil Air antenna (D900 or 9000??) works better than any of the antennas listed here and they are quite reasonable, even with shipping from the UK. It is much longer though! Here is just one review using a 125 that you are familiar with. Look up the reviews on Youtube and you'll see what I mean.

WB9YBM

im a plane spotter, i was using a 125at but it was lost in the field, i found a great deall on a used 436hp, and aside from the learning curve I need to know the best antenna for aviation including mil air. its mobile with me when i go on locations so the portablility. help. forgive me is this was a prrevious post. i was not able to find it. thanks in advance.
If memory serves, the military freq.s are right above the amateur radio 220MH band while commercial aero is below the amateur radio 2M band. Either way, you could probably buy a good ham antenna and re-tune slightly (maybe they'll even be broad-band enough to not require re-tuning).