Best antenna for bcd436hp

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
"Best" depends heavily on what frequencies you listen to, and how concerned you are with portability.

If you're looking for a general purpose antenna that works better than the stock antenna, the Diamond RH77CA is a good choice. But without knowing what you're listening to, it's hard to know if it's a good choice for you.

jimbo0706

just mostly local stuff. in or around the 154 155 and 455 range stuff local sheriff went 154 digital so some thing in that area..

br0adband

If you want a great antenna for the VHF-Hi (150 MHz range) and UHF (450-470 MHz and stuff just under that as well) the Diamond RH77CA is practically the defacto "standard" antenna recommendation by default around here - some folks may not use it but for those of us that do since it's tuned to those bands natively - ok, so it's technically supposed to be for 144-148 and 420-450 MHz it still covers just above the native tuning just fine for providing excellent reception there as well.

It can receive stuff in the 700-800-900 MHz range as well but it won't be as sensitive as an antenna designed/tuned for those higher frequencies, even so I use my RH77CA rather extensively as an "wideband" receive antenna and have never been dissatisfied with the performance on any band I monitor.

trp2525

just mostly local stuff. in or around the 154 155 and 455 range stuff local sheriff went 154 digital so some thing in that area..

For portable/belt use (where you don't want a really long antenna) for VHF-High and UHF I would HIGHLY recommend the Comet MH-255. It's only 3" tall but I have found it performs extremely well on VHF-High and UHF on my BCD396XT.

MH-255 description: "VHF/UHF Handheld Antenna 2:1 or less SWR: 153-157/460-470MHz Wide range receive: 118-960MHz Max Power: 5 watts Length: 3 inches Connector: SMA-male"

Links to purchase:
1. http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/comet-mh-255-351.html
2. COMET-NCG MH-255 Antenna HT Dual Band 6m-2m

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The Remtronix REM-VU100S works just as good as the Diamond rh77ca and does not need a adapter as it is sma connector.

There are 2 versions, one with a BNC connector and one with a SMA. I prefer the BNC version because I change antennas frequently depending on whether I use the scanner at home (base antenna), in the vehicle (mobile antenna), or portable (HT antenna). The adapter takes the wear from frequently changing antennas, is easily replaced if needed, and the additional signal loss is negligible.

If you never change antennas, then the SMA version makes better sense.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M1X73EA/ (BNC)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K1JJWFO/ (SMA)

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Diamond RH77CA for VHF/UHF and RS-800 for 800 Mhz. I have also found the RS telescopic antenna with center loading coil is good all around antenna, and in fact works well for me even down on 39-45 Mhz where Calif Highway Patrol (CHP) mostly operates. I also prefer the latter for the civilian air band. The RS antennas are getting harder to find but available if you look around.
I have tried a few 3 inch antennas and they are OK I find for 800 Mhz trunking sites fairly close by. I have never had much luck with them for VHF and UHF.

Status
Not open for further replies.