Best antenna for handheld Bearcat BC125AT

Status
Not open for further replies.

corneileous

Hey guys, I know asking for the best is 9 times outta ten subjective but all I want is just the best antenna I can get without going full on coax and outdoor antenna.

Thanks.

wtp

25.000 27.995 AM 5.0
28.000 54.000 NFM 5.0
108.000 136.9916 AM 8.33
137.000 174.000 NFM 5.0
225.000 380.000 AM 12.5
400.000 512.000 NFM 6.25

well the total range of the radio is almost like a 80's style of radio.
just adding mil air.

corneileous

Well, being that I’m too far away probably for anything other than just police, fire and EMS, probably lost those. I have a Radio Shack special telescopic antenna that is good for pretty much any frequency depending on how you have it extended. Is that about my best bet or is there something better?

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Options: ( #2 & #3 require coax, but can be used indoors )
1. Diamond RH-951S rubber duck antenna which has the BNC connector and fits right onto the BC125AT.
2. Larsen NMO150-450-800 antenna. Attach that to an NMO magnet mount and then put the magnet mount on top of some metal for a ground plane. Something around 40 inches / 100 cm in diameter....or fit an NMO mount right to the ground plane with a hole in the middle and avoid the magnet mount. The metal for the ground plane can be thin and non-ferrous.
3. Discone antenna indoors.

corneileous

Options: ( #2 & #3 require coax, but can be used indoors )
1. Diamond RH-951S rubber duck antenna which has the BNC connector and fits right onto the BC125AT.
2. Larsen NMO150-450-800 antenna. Attach that to an NMO magnet mount and then put the magnet mount on top of some metal for a ground plane. Something around 40 inches / 100 cm in diameter....or fit an NMO mount right to the ground plane with a hole in the middle and avoid the magnet mount. The metal for the ground plane can be thin and non-ferrous.
3. Discone antenna indoors.
Is this that Diamond RS-951S you’re talking about? It looks like it has a threaded connector.

Md116

That RadioShack telescopic antenna is certainly one of the better scanner antennas. Certainly better than a lot of the aftermarket antennas.

corneileous

That RadioShack telescopic antenna is certainly one of the better scanner antennas. Certainly better than a lot of the aftermarket antennas.
I’m not sure if the one I have is the one you’re talking about but it came from radio shack and it works ok, I guess. Not sure if it works better than the rubber whip the radio came with or not. Its one of those that has the little black collar looking thing that you can extend the antenna in several different configurations for what ever frequency range you’re scanning.

majoco

Stirrer
I have an UBCT126 but I guess that there's not much difference in the antenna requirements. While the ducky that comes with the receiver is not bad, a lot of our communications are down in the 70MHz bands - so I made an extendable antenna out of a scrapped transistor radio whip antenna, a bnc plug and five minutes on the lathe with bit of plastic rod. When extended it's 24inches long and retracted it's 5inches. 24inches is a quarter wave at about 118MHz and 5inches is about 625MHz and it works pretty well at everything in between - and down to the 70MHz band too!

WRQS621

Banned
Banned
I use a Best Buy Essentials Flat HD TV Antenna. Laugh all you want. It works very well.

WRQS621

Banned
Banned
Yes, look at the frequency range. What is nice is in comes with double sided tape so you can stick it anywhere. You have to buy a BNC to F type adapter (but those are handy to have around anyway). I use that exact antenna on my SDS200 with better results than a discone. I also bought one for the truck. It is simple and does the job.

WRQS621

Banned
Banned
Yes, look at the frequency range. What is nice is in comes with double sided tape so you can stick it anywhere. You have to buy a BNC to F type adapter (but those are handy to have around anyway). I use that exact antenna on my SDS200 with better results than a discone. I also bought one for the truck. It is simple and does the job.
Yes, scroll to the frequency range and you will see why I recommend it.

corneileous

Yes, scroll to the frequency range and you will see why I recommend it.
Well, the one I posted the link to probably isn’t the one you use because in the specifications where it talks about frequency ranges, it’s only good for 170-230MHz and 470-862MHz.

Being that I’m not in a large area, there’s probably not much I can scan other than fairly close police, fire, EMS and maybe some storm spotters and Emergency Management if I had an outdoor base antenna to hook to so as far as just a mobile antenna, the 150 through I guess the 160MHz range is all I need.

WRQS621

Banned
Banned
Well, the one I posted the link to probably isn’t the one you use because in the specifications where it talks about frequency ranges, it’s only good for 170-230MHz and 470-862MHz.

Being that I’m not in a large area, there’s probably not much I can scan other than fairly close police, fire, EMS and maybe some storm spotters and Emergency Management if I had an outdoor base antenna to hook to so as far as just a mobile antenna, the 150 through I guess the 160MHz range is all I need.
I get HAM, EMS, FIRE, PD, etc from surrounding counties. Some as far away as 40 miles. It all depends on placement and conditions. Hey, if it doesnt work, slap it on your TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.