best antenna for handheld

Status
Not open for further replies.

de784

Feed Provider
Looking for a decent antenna for the 150 to 450 mhz for a hand held what are some of the better ones on the market.
Thanks

Diamond Rh519 works very similar to the one above, but isn't as good below 140 mhz, which shouldn't matter in your case, and it is a sane size. The one above is a monster, and is just too big for my uses.

I use the 519 on my PSR-500 and this is one outstanding antenna, only 8 inches long, with a small flexible whip that prevents stress on your bnc connector, and just performs like a big dog.

It has "sweet spots" at 120, 144-155, 430-470, and 800/900 works VERY well if you ever need it.

RH77 = Ultimate performance at a monster size

RH519 = Good performance in a reasonable size.

It really comes down to what size you can tolerate I think.

key2_altfire

I've been using a network analyzer at work to plot the return loss of various handheld antennas. I've only checked a few, and so far the best antenna for 2M/70cm has been the antenna that comes with the Yaesu VX-7R.

BTW, return loss in terms of an antenna is how much RF power is reflected. More return loss means less reflection = the antenna is better tuned for frequencies where it sees the MOST return loss.

If anyone wants to send me an antenna for plotting I'd be real glad to do it!

af5rn

Best things I have found on dual-band handhelds are the hard-to-find ANLI ducks.

If you don't mind using a 15 inch antenna, the ANLI RD88H is the best. If you want a shorter antenna, the little brother to the 88H is the ANLI RD-9H. Both of them totally rock! They're available at AdvancedSpecialties.net, here: https://www.webtrix.net/shopcart/Ad...pringgreen>Handheld+Radio+Antennas</b></font>

They also carry the highly rated Maldol antennae. I've had dealings with that dealer and definitely recommend them, even if they are in New Jersey.

jon_k

I've been using a network analyzer at work to plot the return loss of various handheld antennas. I've only checked a few, and so far the best antenna for 2M/70cm has been the antenna that comes with the Yaesu VX-7R.

Are you saying that the 7R stock ducky outperforms the RH77CA?

I'd like a list of what youve tested.

Last edited:

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
I've only checked a few, and so far the best antenna for 2M/70cm has been the antenna that comes with the Yaesu VX-7R.

I have the VX7R and that stock antenna is by far one of the worst. I don't know where you get your readings at but most stock ducks are terrible except for the Kenwood duck that comes with the THG71A dual band radio. i special ordered one for my yeasu dual band!!!! kenwood antenna on yeasu radio!!! How ironic, but also works about as good as a RH77CA, on VHF-hi, believe it or not!!! except the RH77CA beats all at UHF!!!

Eric Burris kc0ldt

hoser147

I use the Diamond RH77 on my bedroom scanners and on the shack when there are thunderstorms in the area, very impressive for reception comparing them to the external antenna. Hoser

key2_altfire

Are you saying that the 7R stock ducky outperforms the RH77CA?

I'd like a list of what youve tested.

No, I'm saying that the stock VX-7R has shown the deepest resonance at 2m and 70cm (of multiband performance) of the antennas I've tested. I have not tested an RH77CA.

Also, a word on performance. The way I'm testing antennas shows resonance, not radiated power. If the antenna has a high attenuation value, then the radiated power will not be great compared to an antenna with lower attenuation. However, since poor resonance reflects RF power back into the radio logarithmically, I would consider this to be a more important factor in performance than attenuation, since attenuation is generally linear at the narrow bands of ham radio, and usually not really a factor anyway in a properly designed antenna. (That's of course going on a bit of faith that an antenna is properly designed. We'll have to ASSume that the manufacturer has not intentionally designed a dummy load.)

I haven't tested an RH77CA. If someone cares to loan me one, I'd love to put it on a network analyzer. In return, I can post a return loss (resonance) plot. This is a quick test that provides excellent data. Alone it's not the end-all, but certainly better than guessing.

prcguy

I've tested lots of dual band hamster antennas and a stock VX-7R antenna is among the best within the amateur bands. The RH77 beats it but some of the 16" long replacements are no better. My testing was done using the VX-7R radio on transmit to a pickup antenna 50ft away feeding an HP power meter, so the readings were discernible to a tenth of a dB.
I recently picked up an Austin Condor antenna for my PRO-96 and PRO-43 and it made a very noticeable improvement on all bands including VHF and UHF air.
prcguy
I have the VX7R and that stock antenna is by far one of the worst. I don't know where you get your readings at but most stock ducks are terrible except for the Kenwood duck that comes with the THG71A dual band radio. i special ordered one for my yeasu dual band!!!! kenwood antenna on yeasu radio!!! How ironic, but also works about as good as a RH77CA, on VHF-hi, believe it or not!!! except the RH77CA beats all at UHF!!!

Eric Burris kc0ldt

imcleish

Just received the NAGOYA versions of Diamonds RH519 and RH77CA, ordered from http://cgi.ebay.com/Scan-Duck-High-...yZ149988QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem as suggested by digitalaudio.

Great Service, Great Price, the 6 bucks combined shipping is cheaper than the gas to go to the local guy, and the price per antenna was less.

It seems that the good antennas for handhelds all look the same but have different brandnames stamped on them.... Pryme/Watson/Diamond....

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
Best things I have found on dual-band handhelds are the hard-to-find ANLI ducks.

If you don't mind using a 15 inch antenna, the ANLI RD88H is the best. If you want a shorter antenna, the little brother to the 88H is the ANLI RD-9H. Both of them totally rock! They're available at AdvancedSpecialties.net, here: https://www.webtrix.net/shopcart/Ad...pringgreen>Handheld+Radio+Antennas</b></font>

They also carry the highly rated Maldol antennae. I've had dealings with that dealer and definitely recommend them, even if they are in New Jersey.

I believe the Pryme RD-98 is very similar to the ANLI (rebranded I believe). I have it and find it works very well. Got it at Frys.

I also have the Pryme AL-800 which is the rebranded ANLI...Also purchased at Frys. Both work well.

On 800mhz, the RS800 works better though. Below that, I'd recommend either of the other two... But be aware the AL-800 is long and stiff. The RD98 is 17in and thin. Very whip like.

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
I believe the Pryme RD-98 is very similar to the ANLI (rebranded I believe). I have it and find it works very well. Got it at Frys.

I also have the Pryme AL-800 which is the rebranded ANLI...Also purchased at Frys. Both work well.

On 800mhz, the RS800 works better though. Below that, I'd recommend either of the other two... But be aware the AL-800 is long and stiff. The RD98 is 17in and thin. Very whip like.

I had a RD98 long time ago but got tired of it whipping around, especially when i take a short jog or run for something. The RH77CA and equivalents I like better and more sturdy and like.

Who makes the ANLI? It seems Pryme and ANLI is similiar. I once read the RD9 was good but Associated Radio didn't carry it so i got the RD8 as they said should work the same but it was terrible at VHF-Hi.
What about this one? MALDOL AS-20 SMA HT Antenna (MALDOLAS20)
it looks like the Diamond version everyone talks about. wonder if it's as good. Maldol makes pretty good stuff so i'm sure it'd be good. I once had a super large 6meters/2m/70cm antenna from them before for my VX7R.

then i see this once for sale HT-55 Commercial/GMRS/MARINE SMA HT Antenna (HT55ANT)
but they want a whopping $36. why would that one be so high when it's just a 8inch antenna?

https://www.webtrix.net/shopcart/Ad...pringgreen>Handheld+Radio+Antennas</b></font>

n2ops

Comet BNC24

Super thin, flexible and light. Outperforms the RH77CA without the weight on your BNC base. Much better low band receive too.

Status
Not open for further replies.