Best Antenna for P25P2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DepDog2270

New to forums....having issues with P25P2 clarity with my local (5mi or <) department. P25P1 is good, P2 Slot 1 is fair at times, and Slot 2 is poor most of the time. UNIDEN sds200 with 36"expandable mast with coil. Could antenna be the problem? Thanks

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
PSX_20210103_183203.jpg

So this is the version for the sds100 but it sounds like you have an SDS 200 so you would want to get the BNC mount and then use a right angle adapter. This is your best indoor back of set antenna. I assume you're using a 700 - 800 megahertz Phase 2 tdma system. This is your antenna but the BNC mount and a right angle adapter. UHF reception is okay but it's not tuned for that and VHF High is not good at all. If you go to the remtronix website they do offer another back of set antenna that is similar to this.

From the description of the antenna you said you're using now it obviously isn't working good for you and we have no idea what antenna it is. Get a 7 - 800 megahertz remtronix and you will notice the difference.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
PSX_20210131_101537.jpg

Here is the version that you want, make sure to pick up a BNC right angle adapter. I would pick it up right away and you are going to see a world of difference.

DepDog2270

Thanks. I have one similar 800mHz rubber ducky (but different) with the right angle adapter. I'll give it a try and then order the Remtronix if I don't see an improvement.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
If you have aluminum siding or a ton of foil backed insulation, you could, if no improvement, getting a piece of coax with the right connectors and try to get the antenna near a window. I lived in an apartment that had metal studs and reception sucked everywhere except for in the window. @trentbob Wow, I remember when the RS brand of that ant was 16.99. I still have 3 brand new ones.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yes when Radio Shack went out of business I picked up fistfuls of them for $5 a piece. The antenna was originally made by GRE who was making the radios for Radio Shack at that time. When GRE went out of business, supposedly a GRE employee started the remtronix company. It is the same antenna except they made the Improvement of the water-resistant mount that fits the proprietary antenna connection on the SDS 100.

Poster... If you live in a house you might as well buy a good rooftop antenna of your choice. Plenty of suggestions here on RR depending what route you want to go, get some good quality coax like lmr400 and mount a rooftop antenna with a good ground and good waterproofing. Meanwhile, back at the ranch I think you will see a world of difference with the remtronix antenna. It's a well-proven performer.

jop-436hp

I picked up at least 3 when Radio Shack was still a thing and must admit I’ve never found a better handheld antenna for digital scanning. Not even an expensive Diamond or Comet antenna compares to them. They’ll receive digital systems 30 miles away effortlessly when every other antenna is deaf.

DepDog2270

Yes when Radio Shack went out of business I picked up fistfuls of them for $5 a piece. The antenna was originally made by GRE who was making the radios for Radio Shack at that time. When GRE went out of business, supposedly a GRE employee started the remtronix company. It is the same antenna except they made the Improvement of the water-resistant mount that fits the proprietary antenna connection on the SDS 100.

Poster... If you live in a house you might as well buy a good rooftop antenna of your choice. Plenty of suggestions here on RR depending what route you want to go, get some good quality coax like lmr400 and mount a rooftop antenna with a good ground and good waterproofing. Meanwhile, back at the ranch I think you will see a world of difference with the remtronix antenna. It's a well-proven performer.
After 24 hrs of light listening, there is an improvement in reception with the new antenna. Pleased with that improvement. Still experiencing some
"drop off" of signal. Perhaps just my department since they just transitioned to P25P2 and may be working out some issues. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Danny37

I'm trying to use the same setup with the 800mhz antenna. Can anyone post a link of a good bnc right angle adapter. The ones I bought on Amazon are crap.

Nevermind, just bought the ones on the scanner master site.

Status
Not open for further replies.