Best antenna for Pro-97

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just purchased a pro-97 handheld and as usual comes with the rubber antenna. I am aware that I won't be picking up much with it unless i'm in close proximity of a transmission. The power is limited. So i went and bought another antenna from radioshack that extends:

Extended Antenna

But using this one also doesn't give me much more. Sure I can pick up the staties on the highway but the range is still very limited. Would it be any better if I get this one:

Magnet Mount Antenna

I would like to have decent reception. Thanks for your input

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
What frequencies do you want to monitor?

When I am mobile, I use the RS800 99% of the time. It does a stellar job on 800 in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and does decently on 400+

I will mostly use it while driving on highway 95 and 93 in New England, so would be good to pick up the FIRE/EMS and staties clearer. Right now I do hear them but not clearly. Also would like to get aviation comms. Even with the extended antenna right now, I have to be less than one mile to pick up the ATIS or even tower.

The general problem is that it doesnt pick up very well. Maybe i need some form of amplification?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Just get a good antenna

You won't need amplification. I use a PRO-97 when mobile with excellent results. I am using a magnetic mount antenna that covers 25-1300 MHz, but there are many different antennas to choose from. Bottom line, any antenna inside a vehicle does not do as good as a proper antenna mounted outside the vehicle.

lugoffman

You won't need amplification. I use a PRO-97 when mobile with excellent results. I am using a magnetic mount antenna that covers 25-1300 MHz, but there are many different antennas to choose from. Bottom line, any antenna inside a vehicle does not do as good as a proper antenna mounted outside the vehicle.

I think my larsen nmo 150/450/800 mhz works real good also the maxrad is a good one to

NWtoSFO

Out on the road you need an external antenna, only. Once out of your car (at work, park, ect.) different antennas work better than others in differnt areas. I never use the stock, but I use the RS 800, the RS telescoping and the RH77CA. When around my home the 800 works best, but at work the telescope works best. And when at my parents up in the foothills, the RH77CA beats both hands-down. Sooo. . . .

lugoffman

Out on the road you need an external antenna, only. Once out of your car (at work, park, ect.) different antennas work better than others in differnt areas. I never use the stock, but I use the RS 800, the RS telescoping and the RH77CA. When around my home the 800 works best, but at work the telescope works best. And when at my parents up in the foothills, the RH77CA beats both hands-down. Sooo. . . .

hey do you got a link to those antenna's you use heck i'm interested in one maybe

So the one that I posted in the first post up i.e. magnet mount, do you think that will do it?

jleverin

If your not worrying about carrying it around with you all the time, the RS indoor center whip telescopic antenna works well at picking up transmission(Cat 20-006A). If I have to take it out with me I disconnect the whip antenna and I have a small magnet mounted scanntenna for the car so I just run in in the window and connect it to the 97. Does really well, I suppose if you needed to carry it around with you a longer rubber duck antenna would work well. I think RS carries them as well or you can get it on Ebay. I don't have any need for it because I don't take the scanner out in public with me. I don't want some idiot calling the cops on me thinking I'm a "terrorist" or something because I have a radio!

I don't carry it with me in public. I generally have it at home or in the car since im on the road a lot. WOuld be nice to pick the state troopers from a further distance or even aviation comm. In the car I think i'd get the magnet mount 25-1300Mhz RS antenna. Then not sure how to make it stick to the top since above 60 mph it's bound to fly off. I dont want to drill holes.

If your not worrying about carrying it around with you all the time, the RS indoor center whip telescopic antenna works well at picking up transmission(Cat 20-006A). If I have to take it out with me I disconnect the whip antenna and I have a small magnet mounted scanntenna for the car so I just run in in the window and connect it to the 97. Does really well, I suppose if you needed to carry it around with you a longer rubber duck antenna would work well. I think RS carries them as well or you can get it on Ebay. I don't have any need for it because I don't take the scanner out in public with me. I don't want some idiot calling the cops on me thinking I'm a "terrorist" or something because I have a radio!

kc9neq

Premium Subscriber
hamcity.com

try one of these window mounts. i use the top one with a diamond rh77ca with a sanner works great. i use the bottom mount with a 2m/70cm ham antenna. it also works great and the 2m/70cm antenna can also be used for scanning vhf and some uhf freq.
their tech support is great. just call them and tell them what you want to hear and they will tell you what antenna you need.

http://www.hamcity.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=2419

pinetree

I use The Workman KS 3 when I am in my daughters car it does everything I need, and to put your mind at ease she at times does better than 65mph and it hasnt moved yet Do a google search for dealers it sells for about $16.

Status
Not open for further replies.