Best Antenna for Scanning

Hello. I regularly use my uniden BC125AT to scan railroad frequencies as well as the lower end of VHF (~100-150). I am wondering what antenna is best for that, particularly for railroad frequencies.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Hello. I regularly use my uniden BC125AT to scan railroad frequencies as well as the lower end of VHF (~100-150). I am wondering what antenna is best for that, particularly for railroad frequencies.

Usually the antenna that came with that radio works good, that is what I use for trains and planes and have been happy with results and battery.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the RR forums. See what results you get with the stock rubber ducky. If you feel you should be receiving more perhaps consider something like this

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber

Are you looking for a base antenna or a handheld antenna?

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
A fellow ham recently gave me a Radio Shack Pro-82 hand held scanner, the antenna was falling apart and leaning 90 degrees. After charging the batteries, I found the radio was in good shape. What to do about the antenna? I buy quite a bit of my radios and supplies from Buy Two Way Radios - Lowest 2 Way Radio Prices Anywhere! and had been looking at a particular antenna, the Ritron AFB-1545, AFB-1545 Ritron Jobcom Replacement Flex Antenna , purchased it for my Pro-82. It works. It works good. Its a little costlier than a regular antenna, but it is very robust. Plus, my brother in law brought his BCD-325 scanner over for me to program. On a whim, we tried the Ritron. A very noticeable difference even on the 800 MHz digital frequencies. I highly recommend the Ritron antenna for scanners with BNC type connectors.

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
Although I have a Uniden 325P2, not the 125 you have, I find the Diamond RH-77 to be a good compromise for aircraft monitoring. I do also listen to trains but it's not my main focus. While I was looking for a good link, I came across this review that may address your question better: Diamond RH77CA portable radio antenna review. For my purposes, I use the RH-77 as my "go to' all around antenna. I do also have specific milair/Civilair antennas though.

oaktree_b

Hey, I was having the same problem. I got a Bingfu antenna off Amazon for 15 bucks, covers VHF 136-174 mhz. The railroads are in the 160mhz range, so it works fine. Watched the Scanner Guys/ Train Aficionado channel on Youtube; that clued me in to type of antenna. They have some they recommend there, for about 40 bucks (made in the USA). I tried the cheap Chinese option, seems to work fine.You'll want the BNC connection. The one that comes with the scanner they call a rubber duckie, it works ok for all the frequencies but doesn't do great on any particular one. I'm in Canada so it's priced in Canadian dollars, might be cheaper in the USA.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 16

Ubbe

If I remember correctly from Upmans antenna tests the stock Uniden 6 inch antenna works equal or better than most 3:rd party antennas in the 155-160MHz range. Of course if you get a full length tuned antenna to a single frequency like 160MHz, something like 18 inch long, it will be much better and will also function well for the airband. The 15 inch one that Whiskey suggests are probably also fine to receive the whole hi-vhf band.

Usually the more gain an antenna has the more crucial it is to hold it vertical and a less gain antenna are more forgiving at what angle it is in.

/Ubbe