best antenna for state police

Status
Not open for further replies.

windchaser

gentlemen, i have a bc296 that i keep in my truck and would like some advice on an antenna that i could mount on the roof-low profile if possable- of my pu truck. this scanner would mostley be used for local and state. i live on the boundry line between divison 1 and 5 so i can pick up both. i am open to all suggestions. thanks windchaser usmm

kc4jgc

You don'y say where you are and what freqs are used by the locals. VHF low, VHF high or UHF?

Assuming VHF high or UHF a 1/4 wave VHF antenna should be fine for you. It would cover VSP and anything else in that range nicely. Also, the 1/4 wave should also do well for UHF as a 3/4 wave and 800 MHz as well.

windchaser

i live in lanexa on the jcc line, jcc,york co and williamsburg are all in the 800mhz area,i also live abt 3 miles from the eoc building in toano. thanks wind chaser usmm

LEH

Premium Subscriber
I've been using a Larsen NMO antenna for the past several years. There may be something better out there but I haven't found it. Take a look at page 100 of the Ham Radio catalog

http://www.hamradio.com/web/newcat/hrocat9.pdf

You will need the antenna and a mount. I have the trunk lip mount on one car and the mag mount on the SUV. Both have served me well for four or five years.

I like the fact they are not overly tall, being NMO they can be unscrewed and a cap placed on the mount if you don't want to have the antenna seen. Of course you lose reception that way. I take them off when I have to leave the car at the airport or something like that.

I recall paying something like $30 for the mount and around $40 for the antenna.

I can even pick up the low powered McDumbDumbs most common drive through VHF-LO freq up to half mile away.

For VSP, I live in the Yorktown area and I hear some of the Richmond freqs routinely in the car. I have picked up the VSP low powered TAC channels two or three miles away (maybe further, but I wasn't really checking). For the York/JCC system, I lose it south of the HRBT.

Before I got the Larsens. I used the RS tri band scanner antenna. About twice the height and I think poorer reception.

windchaser

thanks for the replys, i picked up an austin spectra new in the clear tube today at a yard sale for $20, so i will mount that on the roof and see what happens. windchaser usmm

CVASSB

What a deal

That's what I use. It cost me around a hundred dollars. You are going to be using a top grade antenna that picks up the 800MHz band very well. It scans all of those bands very well from VHF low on up.

Status
Not open for further replies.