best antenna to use in-house for a portable scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffalh3940

Hi, I have a digital scanner and need to know what is the best type of antenna to use inside my house. when the radio is in my truck I can pick up areas that I cannot get inside my house. Any ideas on what the best way to alleviate this problem is. What is the best type of antenna to use inside the house?
Thanks,
Alan

Chris0381

What frequencys are you interested in. One antenna doesn't do all frequencies well. I use the $25 RS antennae and it works fairly good but if you want specifically the 800 mhz band I would recommend a dedicated 800 mhz antenna.

ffalh3940

I live in an ordinary construction apartment. It's wierd, because if I walk outside then the antenna I am using works fine. But inside the house I lose the baltimore city fire department.
Thanks for all the replies, I will try to figure out what to get.

Al42

ffalh3940 said:
I live in an ordinary construction apartment. It's wierd, because if I walk outside then the antenna I am using works fine. But inside the house I lose the baltimore city fire department.
That tells me that the "ordinary construction" includes a lot of something conductive. Don't waste your money on an indoor antenna - you probably don't have any signal inside to receive. Get something you can mount outside and feed it to the scanner inside. It doesn't have to be much of an antenna - you've proved that the antenna on the scanner is good enough outside.

Maybe one of those "over the window" adapters? It'll work just as well clipped onto something outside a house window. (Think large Bulldog clip.)

Status
Not open for further replies.