Best antenna to use in LA County or City?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandpaFrank

Hello all. I will be receiving my new TRX-1 radio today "having sold my pro-668, hp-1, pro-106, and pro-96". What antenna do you prefer to use for our densely populated area with oceans to the left and mountains to the right.

I mainly listen to law enforcement and fire. Not sure if the new DMR or NXDN features of the radio would benefit me, but I like having new radios. Anyhow, what's your take on a good "mobile" antenna for our area?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
One of the nice things about coastal California and monitoring is that the repeaters you usually want to hear are on the mountain tops. That means that you usually don't need large antenna systems to hear the good stuff.

Something like the Larsen NMO-150-450-800 antenna would be a good choice. Basic 1/4 wave on VHF, co-linear on UHF and 800. More than enough for what you need.

Where it won't work well is for listening to the CHP low band VHF systems. To get good performance on those frequencies, you usually need an antenna that's designed to cover the low band spectrum.

But, if the local public safety systems are what you are interested in, the Larsen is a good option.
Larsen is a commercial antenna manufacturer, and they make good stuff. I've got 30 year old Larsen antennas that are still working fine, outlasted the vehicles they were installed on. Not amateur/hobby grade "gimmick" antennas, just solid performers that will last a long time.

allend

Premium Subscriber
Diamond D-130J antenna will work best for you. Make sure you use RG-6 and don't run no more than 50 to 100 ft of coax for loss in the wire.

That's my opinion and it works great for everything in LA from VHF Low and High and UHF and 700/800 mhz

Markb

Premium Subscriber
A discone is a lot of antenna for a mobile setup, but I've seen worse.[emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

prcguy

I agree on the Larsen 150/450/800 and the Maxrad BMAX1000 is about the same. If you want to monitor CHP then an Austin Spectra cut to about 41MHz will cover everything. If your near LA Harbor I have several spare Larson 150/450/800 and Maxrad BMAX1000 antennas I could part with.
prcguy

One of the nice things about coastal California and monitoring is that the repeaters you usually want to hear are on the mountain tops. That means that you usually don't need large antenna systems to hear the good stuff.

Something like the Larsen NMO-150-450-800 antenna would be a good choice. Basic 1/4 wave on VHF, co-linear on UHF and 800. More than enough for what you need.

Where it won't work well is for listening to the CHP low band VHF systems. To get good performance on those frequencies, you usually need an antenna that's designed to cover the low band spectrum.

But, if the local public safety systems are what you are interested in, the Larsen is a good option.
Larsen is a commercial antenna manufacturer, and they make good stuff. I've got 30 year old Larsen antennas that are still working fine, outlasted the vehicles they were installed on. Not amateur/hobby grade "gimmick" antennas, just solid performers that will last a long time.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Once you get used to the TRX-1, the DMR and NXDN features will benefit you. Lots of DMR and some NXDN to listen to in Los Angeles. Radio performs real well if you listen to NXDN on the Gold, Blue, and Red Lines (railroads).

MonkeyProof

I agree on the Larsen 150/450/800 and the Maxrad BMAX1000 is about the same. If you want to monitor CHP then an Austin Spectra cut to about 41MHz will cover everything. If your near LA Harbor I have several spare Larson 150/450/800 and Maxrad BMAX1000 antennas I could part with.
prcguy

PM sent inquiring about a Larsen 150/450/800

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
HAHA. Oh crap I was thinking for the home not a mobile antenna.

Outandabout065.jpg

Wouldn't be the first time someone tried it :p

allend

Premium Subscriber
Once you get used to the TRX-1, the DMR and NXDN features will benefit you. Lots of DMR and some NXDN to listen to in Los Angeles. Radio performs real well if you listen to NXDN on the Gold, Blue, and Red Lines (railroads).

Also, another DMR frequency to listen to is Two Harbors Harbor Department over in Catalina Island on 152.33. DMR digital comes in really clear and some good chatter when the island is busy on weekends and holidays.

PaulNDaOC

I get great results using a mag-mount I bought at HRO for $20. It is a Scanner Master brand, and covers 25- 300 mhz.

When away from the car I get great reception using a Diamond model RH77CA, or if it has a SMA connector model SRH77CA also from HRO.

Status
Not open for further replies.