Best antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

gussy245

Hi all,

I am back home in Los Angeles and I have been listening into LAPD and LAFD. I am located in the hills near mulholland, and I have been trying to listen to LAPD north hollywood division and hollywood division. LAFD dispatch and LAPD Dispatch for hollywood comes in completely clear, but transmissions from LAPD dispatch for north hollywood are pretty muddled. I am using the stock antenna, and I think it would be best if I were to buy a new antenna with the hills in mind. So, what antenna should I buy if I am located in a hilly area and trying to listen to the city close by?

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
A suggested antenna to use depends upon a couple of things... What frequencies/bands are the agencies using? Base or portable?

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
Are you wanting to install an outdoor base antenna? Or just looking to upgrade the antenna connected to your scanner? An outdoor base antenna will be a drastic improvement in reception.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
LAFD dispatch and LAPD Dispatch for hollywood comes in completely clear, but transmissions from LAPD dispatch for north hollywood are pretty muddled.
Did you double check your frequency entries? LAPD has a complicated system, and it's easy to incorrectly enter a frequency, or choose the wrong frequency for an area.

I usually don't monitor LAPD or LASD dispatch channels as there is just too much chatter. I don't really need to hear every 415 or 390 call. I prefer to monitor the Tac and special ops channels. If anything important goes down, it will pop up there. LAPD also has their "hotshot" and astro channels.

prcguy

If you are looking for an antenna on the hand held radio you will probably not get much if any improvement unless you go to an outside antenna. Your problem may be due to weak signal but I suspect its multipath distortion where two or more transmit sites are arriving out of phase and causing a cancellation. An outside antenna will usually work much better and you will pick up other stuff at further distance too.

For others, LAPD or the Los Angeles Police Dept uses T band with many frequencies between 480 and 512MHz from several different transmitter sites.

gussy245

I am using my BCD436HP portable scanner. I am just wanting to update the antenna connected to my scanner. The LAPD frequencies I would like to listen to are in the 400 to 500 MHz bands. Thanks. I don't know much about scanner stuff.

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
I am using my BCD436HP portable scanner. I am just wanting to update the antenna connected to my scanner. The LAPD frequencies I would like to listen to are in the 400 to 500 MHz bands. Thanks. I don't know much about scanner stuff.

Well as prcguy said, don't expect much improvement. There are some other options, you could try an indoor setup such as a discone. An antenna in the attic is another option if the roofing doesn't have metal in it.

Mountain343

Hi all,

I am back home in Los Angeles and I have been listening into LAPD and LAFD. I am located in the hills near mulholland, and I have been trying to listen to LAPD north hollywood division and hollywood division. LAFD dispatch and LAPD Dispatch for hollywood comes in completely clear, but transmissions from LAPD dispatch for north hollywood are pretty muddled. I am using the stock antenna, and I think it would be best if I were to buy a new antenna with the hills in mind. So, what antenna should I buy if I am located in a hilly area and trying to listen to the city close by?

I'm on the other side of the hill from you, the Valley side and the way the radio system works is a bit problematic due to the tower locations and coverage.

Basically if you're in the hills or on the basin side, you probably will not be able to receive the valley divisions at all, and if you're on the valley side, you won't get the west and south divisions.

For example, if you're in Van Nuys, even with a tall discone or directional antenna, you'llhear:
Valley Bureau: Topanga, Devonshire, West Valley, Van Nuys, Mission, Foothill, North Hollywood
Central: Northeast, Hollenbeck, Newton, Rampart

What you won't hear is:
West: West LA, Pacific, Hollywood, Wilshire, Olympic
South: Southwest, 77th, South East and Harbor.

In your area, you'll probably have a lot of luck getting Central, West, and South, but a lot of difficulty getting the Valley frequencies.

If you want to try and see if a new antenna helps, you can try any all-band antenna or one tuned for UHF-T band. For those who don't know LAPD North Hollywood is on 484.9625mhz P25.

LAPD's signal is so strong, I've used everything from stock rubber ducky to diamond RH77's, and the suction cup string antennas to get good results. For some of the harder to get signals (in my case it's Newton/Hollenbeck), the string and a cheapo telescoping magmount I have on a pie plate by the window works great that I got with my 30 dollar SDR.

If it's coming in muddled, you're getting something though so a new antenna will definitely help. You said you just want to update the antenna attached to your scanner, so I'm guessing you mean you just want another portable antenna... not a window mount, mag mount, pole mount permanent fixed antenna.

In that case... look at Comet or Diamond... whichever one works in your price range will be an improvement. You can either get something super narrow that just focuses on UHF-T.. or really wide like the Comet W100RX which goes from 25mhz to 1300. The nice thing about the really wide ones are that you can use it to listen to CHP in the 44mhz, LAPD and LASD in the 480s, LACoFD in the 470s, the Brush fire tacs in the 150s, and LAFD in the 800s. You've also got ICI, RICS, STRS, and CWIRS to play with as well.

gussy245

I'm on the other side of the hill from you, the Valley side and the way the radio system works is a bit problematic due to the tower locations and coverage.

Basically if you're in the hills or on the basin side, you probably will not be able to receive the valley divisions at all, and if you're on the valley side, you won't get the west and south divisions.

For example, if you're in Van Nuys, even with a tall discone or directional antenna, you'llhear:
Valley Bureau: Topanga, Devonshire, West Valley, Van Nuys, Mission, Foothill, North Hollywood
Central: Northeast, Hollenbeck, Newton, Rampart

What you won't hear is:
West: West LA, Pacific, Hollywood, Wilshire, Olympic
South: Southwest, 77th, South East and Harbor.

In your area, you'll probably have a lot of luck getting Central, West, and South, but a lot of difficulty getting the Valley frequencies.

If you want to try and see if a new antenna helps, you can try any all-band antenna or one tuned for UHF-T band. For those who don't know LAPD North Hollywood is on 484.9625mhz P25.

LAPD's signal is so strong, I've used everything from stock rubber ducky to diamond RH77's, and the suction cup string antennas to get good results. For some of the harder to get signals (in my case it's Newton/Hollenbeck), the string and a cheapo telescoping magmount I have on a pie plate by the window works great that I got with my 30 dollar SDR.

If it's coming in muddled, you're getting something though so a new antenna will definitely help. You said you just want to update the antenna attached to your scanner, so I'm guessing you mean you just want another portable antenna... not a window mount, mag mount, pole mount permanent fixed antenna.

In that case... look at Comet or Diamond... whichever one works in your price range will be an improvement. You can either get something super narrow that just focuses on UHF-T.. or really wide like the Comet W100RX which goes from 25mhz to 1300. The nice thing about the really wide ones are that you can use it to listen to CHP in the 44mhz, LAPD and LASD in the 480s, LACoFD in the 470s, the Brush fire tacs in the 150s, and LAFD in the 800s. You've also got ICI, RICS, STRS, and CWIRS to play with as well.

Thank you! This is really helpful information. Could you provide a link to one that would work for the bcd436hp? Just don't want to get wrong thing. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.