Best Attic antenna for scanning & ham use

Status
Not open for further replies.

y84media

Hello all,

I'm looking for the best antenna to be mounted in the attic. The antenna will be used for BCD536HP and also my dual band ham radio (2m & 70cm). Do you have any photos of your attic antenna setup that you could post? Any help would be deeply appreciated.

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
Considering the space requirements in attics, and the wide bandwidth you will require, plus transmitting...the only single antenna that fits that bill would probably be a discone. A J-Pole might also work. Ive used a discone in the attic before (sans the 6M whip) and it worked quite well. No gain, mind you, but it worked, and I got out on 2M with no problems. Didnt try it on 440, but that band is within its frequency range.

PACNWDude

I do not have any photos, but use a cheap Radio Shack discone antenna. Have not been in the attic for several years and use it mostly for VHF/UHF, but also does well for a VHF Marine AIS system I use to.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
I use the small RS20-175= 25-1.3 megs with 30' of LMR400, it works great in the attic even on the IL-Starcom 700 digital system ....I have used it to transmit on my Yaesu FT50 with no problem on VHF.....

Status
Not open for further replies.