Best aviation scanner for listening: Pro-197 or Uniden536HP or SDS200?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WX9RLT

Ham, Scanners, GMRS
Hi,

I was wondering everyone's thoughts: Which of these 3 scanners will have the best RX on the aviation bands?

SDS200
or
Uniden BCD536HP
or
Pro-197

Which one is the best and why?

I am look forward to hearing everyones thoughts and opinions.

questnz

Yes BC125AT very good Air scanner and cheaper but you listed all desktop scanners as a comparative, get scanner of your choice and better invest in proper Air Band antennas if this is your primary scanning requirement

WX9RLT

Ham, Scanners, GMRS
Thanks.

I forgot to add the reason for the three models: I already own these 3 models.
The 3 scanners I own, and just trying to figure out which one out of the 3 would be best :)

baj76

Uniden fanboy
if you're not dealing with Simulcast...the PRO 197 is a awesome scanner

morfis

The 3 scanners I own, and just trying to figure out which one out of the 3 would be best :)

If you have all three then surely you are in the best position to judge which best suits your requirements for an airband scanner as you can compare them directly?

Your input with such a comparison would likely be of interest to quite a few users ;)

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Find a used Uniden 780XLT for cheap. Best air scanner made in most opinions.

I agree back in it's day. However the BC780-XLT is 22 years old! Capacitors are already failing in most of them. There are better scanners with more features and better performance available today. You can buy a brand new BCT15X for just about $150, and sometimes you'll find a used one for about the same price for a used BC780-XLT.

ATCTech

Thanks.

Wait. You already own all three? Then why aren't you comparing them directly?

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
I agree back in it's day. However the BC780-XLT is 22 years old! Capacitors are already failing in most of them. There are better scanners with more features and better performance available today. You can buy a brand new BCT15X for just about $150, and sometimes you'll find a used one for about the same price for a used BC780-XLT.
I am running three here and I have not had issues. Your point is well taken though.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I am running three here and I have not had issues. Your point is well taken though.

I'll bet if Uniden did a new manufacturing run on BC780-XLT's they'd sell a lot of them. You ever wonder how many are just sitting in a closet of someone who passed away and their family doesn't want it and don't know what to do with it? Or how many were tossed in the trash over the years? Sad.

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
My Shack 780 is running next to me here now. Its filtering is second to none, not even the BCT-15. My 325P2, hooked up to the same antenna, is completely deaf compared to the 780 on CIVIL and MILAIR. I am 20 miles north of ORD, running a discone at 20 feet and the all three towers are almost full bars. Atis comes in fairly clear and I can hear many of the aircraft on the ground control frequencies. Nothing like the 780.

Ubbe

Uniden must have used high quality and expensive capacitors in the 780. I haven't heard of anyone that needed to recap a 780.
If they would start to build new 780's they would be too expensive, probably at a $600 level. Wheren't they selling for $399 20 years ago?

/Ubbe

WX9RLT

Ham, Scanners, GMRS
Wait. You already own all three? Then why aren't you comparing them directly?

Because I don't have the extra time at the moment to experiment with them. And wanted to hear other peoples opinions.

Thank you everyone for the responses, much appreciated

jaymatt1978

If you don't need digital or trunking the BC125AT is literally THE BEST scanner on the market right now!! Cape May CITY is still on VHF analog, I have a 125AT on my scooter and love it. It does great on VHF and UHF airband which is a definite plus. 500 channels is PLENTY for me!
I’ve heard great things about the BC125AT as well. I believe it’s even less expensive.

Premium Subscriber
Thanks.

Seems like you can answer your own original question pretty easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.