Best batteries for PSR 800

Status
Not open for further replies.

divemaster500

I received a PSR 800 this Christmas and have been experimenting with different rechargeable batteries. Any suggestions on what batteries work the best with this unit?

dxradio2003

Batteries

Hi,

I think, by far, the Sanyo Eneloops work best. I have used others, such as Powerex 2700 and even Energizers 2450. For me, the Powerex, although a higher capacity rating, were the worst. They tended to last a short time before I had to throw them out (couldn't charge them).

I use a MaHa C9000 conditioner/charger which works very well. It can sometimes bring back to life a battery that would not charge (end of life).

In my opinion, don't rely solely on the capacity rating on the batteries. If you use batteries that are at least 2000 mah, you should be fine, especially using the Eneloops.

---dxradio

DonS

I prefer the Sanyo Eneloop 2000, charged in the Maha C9000. The Powerex 2700 also works well for me (they're in my PSR-800 right now).

bgav

Premium Subscriber
I'm a big fan of the Maha Imedions. Thomas Distributing is my go-to site for batteries.

WTPoperator

Premium Subscriber
Bought 16, Powerex 2700 and a Maha-C801D two months ago. Was getting 5-6 hours run time on NiMh and now it is 8-10 depending on speaker volume. I can get 12 hours run time if I leave it on all night and crime is low. LOL

When will rechargeable Lithium AAs be available?

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
While I do use Eneloops as rechargables in my PSR-500s, PSR-700s, and PSR-800s my `main' batteries are good old Eveready `top of the line' AA Lithium `extremes'. I've gotten up to 18hrs out of a pair in my PSR-700 scanning RR freqs on weekend long `foaming' trips up in Wyoming. On top of great `life' I can carry several sets of backup batteries for all three scanners yet I only have to deal with about half the weight that I would have had to deal with if I had been carrying a similar number of NIMH batteries and I get pretty much double, to possibly triple, the use with the AA Lithiums.

Now I *will* admit that the AA Lithium `primaries' are expensive. But, since I mainly use them for *portable* use and generally run any of the three models off of either a lighter socket power supply or an AC supply I really don't end up spending really all that much for my batteries. I also use my my NIMHs `around the house' when I am out working in the yard or fields. There the NIMHs do quite a decent job and I can fairly easily skedaddle back home and put in another set if they run down. I use a pair of MAHA MH-C9000s and a pair of MAHA MH-C801Ds to maintain my NIMHs.

SCPD

QRT
I too would recommend the Maha C9000 charger with the Sanyo Eneloop batteries. It is a very good combination.

Tracker

I have a set of Tenergy 2500's n use a La Crosse BC 700 charger set at a
200 charge rate.....
Considering that I charge them every night, the first week I was getting a day n a half out of my 800 n figure that I was programming it.......now I get a solid day!
I was thinking of gettin another set to rotate them out every day n have a fresh set every morning..

divemaster500

Thanks for all the feedback! I ordered a 16 pack of MaHa Powerex 2700's and a MaHa MH-C801D charger from Thomas Distributing last week. Everything should be here on Tuesday and I am anxious to try these out.

john_p_bowen

Thanks for all the feedback! I ordered a 16 pack of MaHa Powerex 2700's and a MaHa MH-C801D charger from Thomas Distributing last week. Everything should be here on Tuesday and I am anxious to try these out.
You made a good choose I have the MaHa Powerex 2700 and am very impressed with their performance.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I too would recommend the Maha C9000 charger with the Sanyo Eneloop batteries. It is a very good combination.

Another vote for the Maha C9000 charger. I get around 8 to 8.5 hours of use per charge using Sanyo 2700 Mah Nickel Metal Hydride cells. This is with the '800 backlight on level 3 for 100% of the time, scanning busy trunked systems.

I just bought a couple of sets of the black Sanyo Eneloops, but I have yet to check the exact time I get out of a charge.

racin06

I have the Maha MH-C401FS charger...great charger. I have also been using the Powerex 2700mAh NiMh batteries in my scanners for a couple of years. These are very good batteries. However, today I received a 12-pack of the Powerex Imedion 2400mAh low self discharge batteries! I'm looking forward to seeing how these LSD batteries perform.

GTO_04

Hi,

I think, by far, the Sanyo Eneloops work best. I have used others, such as Powerex 2700 and even Energizers 2450. For me, the Powerex, although a higher capacity rating, were the worst. They tended to last a short time before I had to throw them out (couldn't charge them).

---dxradio

I've had the same experience with Powerex 2700s. Some were very good, some were duds. Keep in mind the Powerex 2700s have a one-year warranty. Thomas Distributing replaced the duds and the new ones have been better.

I prefer the Eneloops as well. They have proven to be more rugged for me in everyday use.

GTO_04

Status
Not open for further replies.