• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Best Bubble Pack 22 Channel GMRS/FRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

rescuecomm

Will be buying some new 22 channel radios when the batteries on my Radio Shack 19-903's finally quit taking a charge. What is the best upper end GMRS/FRS radio? Motorola, Midland, or Cobra all make the 2 to 5 watt units. Like to hear from users who use the radios for hunting and outdoor use.

cellblock776

Well, if you are looking for something along those lines I'd skip over the bubble packs entirely and just buy a "real" radio. Maybe someting from RK Leef. The prices are not too bad and the advantages of full power and removable antennas plus 40watt mobiles and bases and repeater use beat the heck out of bubble packs. Check out some of the advertisers over at Popular Wireless- http://www.popularwireless.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi .
Of course, you do have a GMRS license to transmit on those frequencies and those power levels, Right?

rescuecomm

cellblock776 said:
Well, if you are looking for something along those lines I'd skip over the bubble packs entirely and just buy a "real" radio. Maybe someting from RK Leef. The prices are not too bad and the advantages of full power and removable antennas plus 40watt mobiles and bases and repeater use beat the heck out of bubble packs. Check out some of the advertisers over at Popular Wireless- http://www.popularwireless.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi .
Of course, you do have a GMRS license to transmit on those frequencies and those power levels, Right?
Yes on the license. WQDL410! I also have the real radios Icom F40 and F43 and repeater access. That's not the question. If I go hunting with some guys from work, I need a radio that will match up with what they are using on the spot. (PL and Channel).

xusmarine1979

I know Motorolla has a few good models out there. Not sure what they are off-hand but my Dad and I got a pair from either Lowes or Home Depot for about $60. It came with 2 with batteries, chargers but I do not believe headsets. Might wanna try Cabela's web site. They usually have some pretty good ones, I'm gonna give it a look real quick...

Last edited:

fineshot1

xusmarine1979 said:
I know Motorolla has a few good models out there. Not sure what they are off-hand but my Dad and I got a pair from either Lowes or Home Depot for about $60. It came with 2 with batteries, chargers but I do not believe headsets. Might wanna try Cabela's web site. They usually have some pretty good ones, I'm gonna give it a look real quick...
Yes - and I beleive Cebelas even has some models with camo finish...

xusmarine1979

One thing I liked about the Moto's is that when you use the privicy codes, it cuts out the tail burst (I think that's what it's called). Not sure about all of their models though.

bwhite

I've tested numerous models ranging from Motorola's low end FRS only 500mw to Cobra supposedly 7 milers (GMRS) to Midland's 14 milers (4 watts I believe).
Bottom line:
Residential
Midland got about 1000' further than the Motorolas (about 2/3 mile from the Motorola.) (can't remember the Cobras)
Beach from 4th floor balcony oceanfront to "up the beach, edge of the water" 1/4 mile further with the Midland, can't remember the Cobra.
Note: Been very pleased with what I get out of the low-end Motorolas for the dollars spend. On the first use I spoke with my daughter in the car 3 miles away from ridge top to just the other side of a ridge. Never got that outta any CB walkie talkies I had for even 5x the money.

n1das

Don't believe any of the bubble pack's hyped up range claims. Those tests are done over water, i.e., under "ideal" conditions. "Your mileage may vary (YMMV)."

You basically get what you pay for with the bubblepacks. The latest Moto TalkAbouts, such as the T7400 or T7450 are among Moto's better quality bubble packs.

I've had a few bubble packs over the years, thinking that I'd use them and they'd make good beater radios for casual GMRS/FRS use, but I always end up getting rid of them because they really are consumer CRAP compared to the "real" radios I normally use. No more bubble packs for me. I only use the good commercial stuff plus I need repeater capability.

Good luck.

xusmarine1979

I think the most I've gotten is maybe a 1 1/2 miles, and that was on the highway. But they sure are a heck of a lot better than those old 49MHz radios we use to use as kids...

Status
Not open for further replies.