Best Cheapie Laptop For SDS-200 & Sentinel

MStep

Looking for recommendatiions for an inexpensive laptop, preferably available on Amazon, to run Sentinel to program the SDS-200. Thanks.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Windows based, make sure it has a USB port for the cable, which I'm pretty sure they all do by now. You can also purchase a USB/SD card reader so you can program via the computer and use the USB port.

MStep

What's your budget?

I see cheapie laptops on Amazon in the 200 USD or so range. It is strictly for Sentinel use. I had been using a 199.00 Asus but had to add some other stuff and memory got tight, so I am looking for something that someone has had some good experience with strictly for Sentinel in the 200 - 250 or so range,

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Sentinel does not require a lot of horsepower (speed & memory) to run. You would, of course, need internet access as well as be able to update the Dot.Net to the correct version.

I see this one at Best Buy:
There are a number of other options on Best Buy's site if you specify to search for 'under $200 laptops

Or this on Amazon:
Or this Lenovo @ $170.00 on Amazon

The first two have Windows 11, the Lenovo Windows 10. These are all "Windows S" versions, so you would need to remove the 'S' designation before it will allow you to install Sentinel. Instructions for that are easily found with a simple search.
One example: Switching out of S mode in Windows - Microsoft Support

Of course, if you look around, you may find an ever cheaper previously owned laptop at a pawn shop or estate sale.

MStep

Sentinel does not require a lot of horsepower (speed & memory) to run. You would, of course, need internet access as well as be able to update the Dot.Net to the correct version.

I see this one at Best Buy:
There are a number of other options on Best Buy's site if you specify to search for 'under $200 laptops

Or this on Amazon:
Or this Lenovo @ $170.00 on Amazon

The first two have Windows 11, the Lenovo Windows 10. These are all "Windows S" versions, so you would need to remove the 'S' designation before it will allow you to install Sentinel. Instructions for that are easily found with a simple search.
One example: Switching out of S mode in Windows - Microsoft Support

Of course, if you look around, you may find an ever cheaper previously owned laptop at a pawn shop or estate sale.

That's exactly the type of information I am looking for. Thank you so much.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Looking for recommendatiions for an inexpensive laptop, preferably available on Amazon, to run Sentinel to program the SDS-200. Thanks.

There are some great deals on laptops on Ebay that were turned in by corporations when they do their lease refresh. Some are like new, possibly never even used, and most come with some type of warranty. You can buy what used to be very expensive DELL's at a fraction of the original cost.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
I've been cranking along with an ASUS as well for years, for exactly the use you have! I just keep an eye on memory and delete stuff regularly. It helped to add a SD card and direct all scanner related software and apps to the D drive. Sentinel, ProScan and a few other bits live there and no longer am I almost out of memory!!!

FKimble

Black Friday is just around the corner if you feel you must buy a new computer. USB sticks and solidstate external drives can also take care of storage problems.

hvytrucker

HvyTrucker

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
I know that you said that it would be strictly for Sentinel, but you might want to consider getting one that will work with ProScan, in case you decide to go that route.

Unfortunately, I searched for the pc minimum requirements, but couldn't find them for Sentinel or ProScan.

I did see a thread where someone was having a problem with installation on a system that had 4GB RAM, so you might want to go higher.

hunterca

SDS100, BCD325P2
Premium Subscriber
Are windows based tablets strong enough to use Sentinal and ARC536 programming? Excluding the Surface Tablets.

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
Good morning.

My 11-year-old Toshiba is starting to show its age, and the only laptop I can find to replace it may be one of those newer, thin models.

The last time I looked, it seemed like most of the new, thinner laptops are using USB-C ports.

I understand there are adapters available for USB-C to USB connections, but does anyone know how well they work?

Thanks in advance.

-Johnnie (KC5IGH)

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Are windows based tablets strong enough to use Sentinal and ARC536 programming? Excluding the Surface Tablets.
Of course they are if they are able to run windows 8, 9, 10 or 11. If they were Windows Mobile... I would guess not but those would be quite old.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Good morning.

My 11-year-old Toshiba is starting to show its age, and the only laptop I can find to replace it may be one of those newer, thin models.

The last time I looked, it seemed like most of the new, thinner laptops are using USB-C ports.

I understand there are adapters available for USB-C to USB connections, but does anyone know how well they work?

Thanks in advance.

-Johnnie (KC5IGH)
They work fine for passing data. No idea on charging.