Best Coax to use

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldheliguy

Premium Subscriber
I was thinking about using Times Microwave LMR-400-UF 50 ohm coax. I need something as flexible as I can get but I want excellent quality coax. I was told that RG-6 Quad Shielded 75ohm was as good spec wise as the LMR400-UF but a lot more flexible. Any opinions, thanks

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Depends if you are using it for receive only or transmit/receive.

If it's only for receive, I'd opt for high quality RG-6 quad (with high quality connectors, installed properly).

The other factor, which you didn't mention, is how long of a run are you considering.

oldheliguy

Premium Subscriber
It will be used on a police scanner and the run will be about 40', I was going to use a Diamond D130NJ. What do you recommend for the fittings, I will need a N male and BNC male. Thanks

prcguy

My opinion is the LMR-400-UF 50 would be a good choice and you would never have to worry if the RG-6 75 ohm mismatch and unknown interaction with the specific length of cable is causing you a problem.
prcguy

It will be used on a police scanner and the run will be about 40', I was going to use a Diamond D130NJ. What do you recommend for the fittings, I will need a N male and BNC male. Thanks

oldheliguy

Premium Subscriber
Hey, thanks for your help and all for taking time to replay to my question. I think i will go with the LMR-400-UF and Times Microwave connections.

fontanei

oldheliguy,

I honestly think that LMR-400 is somewhat overkill; however, since you are only getting ~40', the price difference to other cheaper coax alternatives is negligible. Don't forget to seal your connections :)

prcguy

Why is it overkill? I see it as the right way to do the job.

You can skimp and go RG-6 or maybe even RG-8X but when people in the know visit his station would you care if they whispered to each other "did you see that cheap coax he used?" or would you rather have them smiling and giving a thumbs up at the high quality, high performance station he put together?

Personally I like it when people visit my station and their mouths drop open and they are speechless at some of the "overkill" things I've installed here.
prcguy

oldheliguy,

I honestly think that LMR-400 is somewhat overkill; however, since you are only getting ~40', the price difference to other cheaper coax alternatives is negligible. Don't forget to seal your connections :)

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If you can afford the LMR-400, go for it. It has less loss than the RG-6. You may want to have a short (6-12") piece of more flexible cable such as RG-6 to connect to the radio, to avoid straining the antenna connector. You can use the short cable to adapt from the UHF or N connector on the LMR-400 to the BNC antenna connector on the scanner.

oldheliguy

Premium Subscriber
I really appreciate all the great information everyone has given me and will use it. I have had a scanner off and on since you used to buy a crystal/frequency you wanted to listen to and put in a 10 channel scanner. The last one I had was a Radio Shack Pro 2042. Like everything in life things almost change daily and they seem to get more complected LOL. The 2042 was pretty easy to program but my new BCD536HP is not that easy. it is probably close to being beyond my skills, but I am still trying to learn. Anyway again I appreciate everyone input and help.

oldheliguy

Premium Subscriber
Yes I am going to get the shrink tubing for the connections.I am going to get the antenna, coax and connectors from The Antenna Farm and get them to make up the connectors to the coax. Coax LMR-400-UF and connectors Times Microwave and Diamond D130NJ antenna. I wanted to use crimped connectors but on the site it says the Times Microwave "N" connector TC-400-NMH-X connector will not work on the LMR-400-UF coax so I am going to have to get the Times Microwave soldered connector instead of crimped.

Status
Not open for further replies.