Best conditions for scanning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalCarnage

Was curious if anyone could let me know when the best conditions for scanning are. I noticed at certains times of the day, (night time signal seems to drop), and also different weather conditions seem to affect my receiving power (some days i can get some towers i scan at a full signal, then other days it may be a bar or two less, and have slight fluctuation. Just curious what conditions are prime and which are not.

Thanks in advance

BTW i listen to both VHF and 800 bands, but i find the 800 band to have the largest variance in strength when it comes to different times of day and weather

EDIT: Oh, and if you could mention the effect of temperature that owuld be great too

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
I find on warm summer nights, around dusk, that the signal on VHF-High and VHF-Low, seem to improve alot. I pick up stations loud and clear in those bands that I wouldn't even hear during the day.

I don't really notice a difference in reception in the higher frequencies (UHF, 800) at night.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi Metal and all,

Although you'll likely get a lot of answers you'll get no definitve ones. Your question is too ambiguous and too broad for anything specific. Each band has it's own characteristics and there are SO many variables in propagation conditions making for SO many answers. When you gain experience all your questions will be answered by your scanner right down to seasonal changes brought about by leaves on the trees and atmospheric variables.

Colin, you've made a good observation that defies scientific analysis. We have just come to accept "enhanced propagation" at night without really understanding how or why it happens. Likewise I have observed no significant enhancement at 800MHz but some days it's up and some days it's down with no reasonable explanation.

Now pardon my usual sarcasm BUT the best conditions are a scanner, low loss coax and a good antenna mounted as high as practical clear of all obstructions and preferably a mountain under you. (;->)

Status
Not open for further replies.