Best conventional scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trekker65

Premium Subscriber
Need some opinions. What is the best analog scanner (trunking & convent freqs)? Which has the best reception w/stock antenna & best audio?
Without a doubt in my opinion it is the new Radio Shack Pro 107. Has the entire Radio Reference database on a 2 gigabyte SD disc that is easily updated regularly through the software that comes with the radio. If you have not seen it yet go to the Pro 107 Wiki on this website to get the full evaluation. Great sound and automatically receives the proper trunking system just by loading the data into a "playlist". Seems to be the best reception of all my scanners with just the rubber ducky. I am picking up things I have never heard before on an outside antenna. Have not had any intermod problems and I live in a congested area. Got mine on Nov 17th and it has been hard to put down since. The 2500 mah rechargeable batteries I installed last a long time and the cable that comes with the radio allows you to charge them through your usb computer port or portable charger.

jessmu

Premium Subscriber
Without a doubt in my opinion it is the new Radio Shack Pro 107. Has the entire Radio Reference database on a 2 gigabyte SD disc that is easily updated regularly through the software that comes with the radio. If you have not seen it yet go to the Pro 107 Wiki on this website to get the full evaluation. Great sound and automatically receives the proper trunking system just by loading the data into a "playlist". Seems to be the best reception of all my scanners with just the rubber ducky. I am picking up things I have never heard before on an outside antenna. Have not had any intermod problems and I live in a congested area. Got mine on Nov 17th and it has been hard to put down since. The 2500 mah rechargeable batteries I installed last a long time and the cable that comes with the radio allows you to charge them through your usb computer port or portable charger.

Thanks for posting this. I am in the market for a scanner for the first time, and have been asking around for people's opinions So, it's pretty easy to use, then?

safetyobc

If you want a decent scanner (other than the one previously mentioned) I have had great success with the Pro-97 (Pro-164) as well as BCT15. Both are good conventional scanners.

raisindot

I'd recommend the RS Pro-162. Outstanding reception on all bands, even better on VHF than my GRE PSR-500. 1,000 channels, comes with all standard non-digital trunking, can be programmed vis USB and third party software, has alpha tagging, and excellent audio. While no longer in production, you can find them fairly often on Ebay selling for less than $100 used.

Suzie

ab8sn

Premium Subscriber
I have two BC898T's and a BCT15 and they are really nice radios. Both are very sensitive and have had no intermod problems on either. The 898's are easier to program than the 15. But both are highly recommended.

Chad

jleverin

My first conventional scanner was a Pro 82, good little radio for simple non-trunking reception. Still have it, works fine but I no longer use it. I really had good luck with the second hand Pro 97 I bought too, it got quite a bit of use until they switched systems locally. Now it's retired to the shelf and I am finally using the Pro 96- so far have not been dissapointed with any of the three radios. It was nice when everything was conventional because my 2m ham radio could pick up the cops and fire as well as hams but now I have to have two separate radios. Oh well.......

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Uniden's new BCT15XT, and GRE's PSR-400 are both excellent. The PSR-400 performs better in low-interference environments, the BCT15XT does better where RF interference is a problem.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
The best scanner changes depending on need. I like my PRO-95s as they have the best reception on 800 MHz, but they don't have CT/DC decoding. The PRO-97 has the CT/DC decoding, but does not pick up as well on 800 MHz. The PSR-300 comes somewhere in between the two.

So for 800 MHz (trunking) I use PRO-95s. I typically need to use the PSR-300 for rebanded systems. But otherwise my favorites are the '300 or '97 for conventional (non 800 MHz) freqs.

Status
Not open for further replies.