Best DB update method for SDS200 with ProScan and RR premium membership?

gatsat

Obviously there is more than one way to 'skin a cat' ... I am interested in how you pros do it.

I have Sentinel and ProScan installed on my laptop and a paid membership to RR. I really like connecting to my SDS200 via wireless network. I have been using the FTP read/write method quite a bit and like how it works. My question is how to best keep my scanner's DB up to date, preferably without connecting a USB cable.

The once you folks have your scanner(s) setup the way you want, how do you go about updating it?

How often?

Where do you get your updated DB info?

Are you backing up your scanner's active DB each time before updating it?

Thanks!

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
once you folks have your scanner(s) setup the way you want, how do you go about updating it?
I update via Proscan since it allows you to select which FLs you want to update & allows for greater list customization & sorting options

How often?
Answer will vary depending on system. I have systems programmed that haven't had the need for an update in about 10 years or so. On the other hand my state's system is ever-evolving so I'd say I update it every month or so, depending on what the update(s) is (are)...

Are you backing up your scanner's active DB each time before updating it?
Yes, with Proscan I save the favorites profile to an external hard drive in the event the OS fails and all cards on all my scanners fail I'll still have a usable backup ;)

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
The only time I worry about the full db is when I am going to travel as that's the only time I use the full db. So when I do need to update the full db on the 200, I read the scanner into Sentinel with the usb cable, update the full db, then write back to the scanner.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
I’m following this thread with great interest and hope to learn more about the versitality, especially how you propose to accomplish DB updtes without the use of a USB cable. Not sure I understand exactly what you are after so I offer this…

Since you stated you are using PROSCAN and Sentinel to do the DB updates, I agree with Buddrousa’s post. Your ONLY choice for DB updates is Sentinel until PROSCAN gets its act together. But Butel offers ARC which will also update the DB but only if you have subscribed to RR as a premium member (which you have). I believe PROSCAN would also require a RR premium membership. (Sentinel allows for the exact same DB update without the need to subscribe as a premium member of RR… but given the very reasonable subscription cost of RR premium membership and the fact I’ve been using Butel programming software since they began supporting scanner programming on previous scanners, I stayed with Butel. I believe RR should be recognized for its continued support of their programming software, especially after trunking came to be which made manual keyboard entry a time consuming chore (fraught with accidental entries). And since it predated PROSCAN, it was the only offering at the time. However, I applaud PROSCAN and FREESCAN for their ability to allow one program to service multiple scanners and have purchased my own copy of PROSCAN. But since I’m familiar with Butel, I’ve stuck with it. And regardless of which aftermarket software is used, Sentinel is still the only software that gives us the ability to grab Uniden’s firmware and software updates from within the Sentinel program. (I’m not all that familiar with PROSCAN, as to if they also allow for a link to Uniden for scanner FW updtes as Sentinel does but I don’t believe so.)

As for how I go about updating the DB, I first backup what I’ve been using, just in case… I can always revert back to it if I screw up any new profile I create. I access my programming software program on my computer (Butel ARC or PROSCAN) and download the latest DB from RR into it. After editing, creating FL’s, etc., I create a new profile. Once that is completed I download my new profile into the scanner using the patch cable.

My alternate method would be to download the latest DB using Sentinel, where the new DB is installed within the Sentinel program. But in both cases, a patch cable is required to then push the new profile I’ve created into the scanner’s memory banks.

My method(s) requires that patch cable between the computer and scanner… wondering how this could be accomplished without that patch cable? Or am I missing the meaning of the OP’s question?

belvdr

No longer interested in living
I’m following this thread with great interest and hope to learn more about the versitality, especially how you propose to accomplish DB updtes without the use of a USB cable. Not sure I understand exactly what you are after so I offer this…

My method(s) requires that patch cable between the computer and scanner… wondering how this could be accomplished without that patch cable? Or am I missing the meaning of the OP’s question?
You mentioned USB in the first paragraph, and patch cable in the last, which suggests an Ethernet cable. I haven’t heard a USB cable called a patch cable before.

However, with the SDS200, you can use the Ethernet cable and FTP. Currently, ProScan will import data from RR using a premium membership, and you can use that to modify the favorite lists. I’m not sure why people are saying it won’t.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Ok on the USB/patch cable question. My meaning is the same. A “patch cable” as used by me only suggests a physical connection between the computer and the scanner… be it USB or Ethernet. Suffice to say I used both terms interchangeably but thanks for pointing that out. Substitute all patch cable references with USB.

As for PROSCAN and importing the DB… as I say, I’m not familiar with PROSCAN’s capabilities. I just went with what the other post had mentioned…

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Currently, ProScan will import data from RR using a premium membership, and you can use that to modify the favorite lists. I’m not sure why people are saying it won’t.
Think they are meaning how in Sentinel, you can update the full db and push it to the scanner.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Since you stated you are using PROSCAN and Sentinel to do the DB updates, I agree with Buddrousa’s post. Your ONLY choice for DB updates is Sentinel until PROSCAN gets its act together.
What are you talking about. ProScan has the most database features then any other software. You probably never tried ProScan or you are mistaken.

I believe PROSCAN would also require a RR premium membership. (Sentinel allows for the exact same DB update without the need to subscribe as a premium member of RR…

Don't need a RR membership to import from the RRDB. ProScan can also import from the HPDB which is derived from the RRDB.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
As for PROSCAN and importing the DB… as I say, I’m not familiar with PROSCAN’s capabilities. I just went with what the other post had mentioned…

That the problem. Someone else may have been mistaken or misspoke and you are passing it along as fact. Someone else may read this and think, well if two people are saying it so it must be true.

Sentinel is still the only software that gives us the ability to grab Uniden’s firmware and software updates from within the Sentinel program. (I’m not all that familiar with PROSCAN, as to if they also allow for a link to Uniden for scanner FW updtes as Sentinel does but I don’t believe so.)
True. We can't legally access Uniden's server and download the FW or the HPDB. Sentinel is needed for that but once the HPDB is downloaded then we can import from it.

Last edited:

gatsat

However, with the SDS200, you can use the Ethernet cable and FTP. Currently, ProScan will import data from RR using a premium membership, and you can use that to modify the favorite lists. I’m not sure why people are saying it won’t.

This is what I am doing and I find it to be super convenient! I do not have an ethernet switch/jack anywhere close to my scanner, so I use a Vonets WiFi bridge. I read about this method in another forum post and it was money well spent! I power it up right from the USB A jack on the front of the SDS200. The only thing I have not been able to do via FTP is change the color scheme, I still have to connect a USB cable for that.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
This is what I am doing and I find it to be super convenient! I do not have an ethernet switch/jack anywhere close to my scanner, so I use a Vonets WiFi bridge. I read about this method in another forum post and it was money well spent! I power it up right from the USB A jack on the front of the SDS200. The only thing I have not been able to do via FTP is change the color scheme, I still have to connect a USB cable for that.
Yep colors, firmware, and the master database are the only things Sentinel is required for.

IQ_imbalance

Premium Subscriber
I'm confused about how to update the DB and favorites w/ Proscan...i didn't see anything in the manual. Do you just re-download and overwrite(?) the existing data?

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I'm confused about how to update the DB and favorites w/ Proscan...i didn't see anything in the manual. Do you just re-download and overwrite(?) the existing data?
There's a few ways

1. Create a new FL in ProScan
1a. Read from the scanner
1b. Make the changes in ProScan including importing systems
1c. Write the ProScan FL to the scanner

2. Open the Sentinel FL in ProScan
2a. Make the changes in ProScan including importing systems
2b. Write the ProScan FL to the scanner

3. Create a new FL in ProScan
3a. Add systems or import systems
3b. Write the ProScan FL to the scanner

The source of the import can be the RRDB, Sentinel Favorites, Sentinel Database(HPDB), & ProScan DMA files

IQ_imbalance

Premium Subscriber
There's a few ways

1. Create a new FL in ProScan
1a. Read from the scanner
1b. Make the changes in ProScan including importing systems
1c. Write the ProScan FL to the scanner

2. Open the Sentinel FL in ProScan
2a. Make the changes in ProScan including importing systems
2b. Write the ProScan FL to the scanner

3. Create a new FL in ProScan
3a. Add systems or import systems
3b. Write the ProScan FL to the scanner

The source of the import can be the RRDB, Sentinel Favorites, Sentinel Database(HPDB), & ProScan DMA files
Thanks. Wanted to make sure I knew what was going on before I started tinkering with my database!