Best Desktop Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

tormedic

I am currently looking to up grade from my bcd-996t scanner and i am looking for some feedback as to what is currently the best product on the market.
Looking for imput. And possibly to purchase. I live in Canada
thanks

steve

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Some info regarding where in Canada you are, your primary monitoring interests, specific system(s) you intend to monitor primarily, etc would go a long way in helping us help you make a recommendation for an upgrade. Sure you could go big or go home with an SDS200 but If simulcast distortion isn't a factor, or your area is primarily analog or P25 Phase-I then the SDS200 may be overkill & you can save hundreds by buying a non-SDS model. But if money isn't an issue, definitely go with the SDS200. I own its handheld variant, the SDS100 and it doesn't miss a beat on anything I monitor (and that's a whole lot).

Best of 73's to you & good luck with whatever you decide to purchase

What makes SDS 200 the best
#1 is the ease of programming.

The entire natiowide database is already IN the scanner so no need to add any programming.

Just enter your Zip Code and go.

Here is a complete breakdown of features.

#2 it's the only scanner DESIGNED to handle Simulcast Distortion.

#3 The larger, detailed display. Customizable by color and content and layout.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
SDS200 or Icom R9500

The R9500 is not really a scanner as it was not designed for trunked system. Personally, I would get a R8600 instead for the price and other reasons. I ended up with the R9500 at 1/3 off the price when the owner was committed two weeks after buying it by his family (I was really told that).

hagensieker

Premium Subscriber
One thing I have learned about scanning is that the question might be "What is the best Desktop Scanner FOR ME?".

If you tell me something is cool, I'll buy it and I have several scanners. In reality with the systems that I monitor, where I live at, I could get by with a much lower end scanner than what I have.

I follow two trunked P25 systems. I can scan them very efficiently using a Raspberry Pi and a program called OP25. Cost is maybe $70 or less. To get the old analog channels I have an old Bearcat BCT-7 which works marvelously on all the analog frequencies. I paid $50 for the thing. Both of these though do not have the ability to do DMR and NXDN. There are none of those frequencies or systems around that I care about listening to. Your mileage may vary.

Conversely I have a Uniden SDS100 and SDS200 which were both about $700 each.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not the least bit with buyers remorse......I LOVE both scanners. Just saying that the smart approach is to assess the systems you want to listen to and steer your purchase towards that.

But if money is no object then by golly the answer to your question is "Uniden SDS200".

WB9YBM

I am currently looking to up grade from my bcd-996t scanner and i am looking for some feedback as to what is currently the best product on the market.
Looking for imput. And possibly to purchase. I live in Canada

That depends on two things:
1.) What do you need it to do?
2.) What do you like? (If it doesn't look "nice" then people might not buy it.)

That being said, going for "the best" won't be good enough if you skimp on the antenna & antenna location. Second best can beat best if second best is running a better antenna.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Well poster you have a lot of good information here. Do your research. Read about each scanner talked about. Do a needs assessment of what it is that fits your particular situation and of course your pocketbook.

SDS 200 is a fun scanner to use and you will be getting the best for your money. You heard in that post above how much it cost. $699.99...

Poster, poster are you there? Oh I think he's on the floor, better get the smelling salts.:p

Status
Not open for further replies.