Best Digital Scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AYoung2600

I am looking to buy a digital scanner to monitor the Ohio MARCS system but I don't know which one to buy. I have heard some positives and negatives on all of them but I want to get some opinions.

voxiso

I am looking to buy a digital scanner to monitor the Ohio MARCS system but I don't know which one to buy. I have heard some positives and negatives on all of them but I want to get some opinions.

I got the RS Pro-106 last week and it's pretty good at first I had problems with it due to it having a million types of settings best way to program is to become a premium subscriber and use the win500 program otherwise its a beast to program but once i got it setup and all the settings down for my area it works like a charm. its very sensitive as well.. Do some reading up on the Pro-106 or the Pro-197 which is the base model.. It's on sale now $50 off plus you can get another $45 off at http://www.couponcabin.com/coupons/radio-shack/

captclint

Mentor
IMHO, there are really only 2 choices and 4 radios(1 HH & 1 Base/mobile for each company) :GRE Radios and Uniden Scanners . RS is customer unfriendly, and very slow to incorporate firmware fixes and improvements. Uniden and GRE make radios for them, and the are both good about firmware updates, but RS delays firmware updates from both. GRE is the most aggressive and slightly better on customer relations.
Also see: Digital Scanner Comparison Chart - The RadioReference Wiki
396 vs GRE PSR-500(at the end), or BCD996XT vs GRE PSR-600(at the end)
The basic considerations are as follows:

1. GRE is more sensitive(gets weaker signals), but that very feature makes them prone to overload if in the city or near any type of radio/TV/cell towers. Previously, GRE was better with digital, but I think that difference has been minimized with the latest firmware from Uniden...see how important firmware can be.
  2. Uniden does not overload as much (hence is not as sensitive), and generally has more features, which you will probably appreciate once you are familiar. For example, they skip over encrypted communications, while GRE just hangs on them producing annoying noise. Also has GPS system control (limited value for a Base unit), and Fire Tone outs (limited value IMHO)
  3. You really need software to program and better understand a digital radio. There is an excellent program for Unidens that is free: FreeScan. GRE typically costs $30-$40

You will find diehards in either camp, but I think they all generally agree on the points above, so you need to decide if you are far enough from the radio signals to justify a GRE.

GB1952

Premium Subscriber
Dont forget the bc-996xt,i program them by hand very simple and menu driven.no need for computer programming.

hoser147

I would go with the GRE or RS scanner, seems to do better on the MARCS system and decoding. However I do like some options about the Unidens. I think if you would have put this in the Ohio forum you would get alot of the same replies. Good Luck.

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
Comparing the digital scanners is like comparing apples to oranges. You ask 10 people and you will get 10 different answers. Personally I like the GRE (including the GRE made RS models) better. Again if you will get some people that say GRE is better and some will say Uniden is better. Both make good scanners but GRE has the edge to me. Uniden has definitely gotten a lot better on digital but I think GRE still has a slight edge on it. Like hoser said you might want to ask in the Ohio forum since you have a particular system in mind with the purchase. People in that forum might be able to direct you more based on their performance on that system.

Status
Not open for further replies.