Best DMR Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC0RV

Feed Provider
I also use Open Office for the layout of the scanner info. and so far it seems to work for me

AC0RV

Feed Provider
Sorry I can not help you with CPS software.

You did say the was a Baofang(if missed spelled, Sorry)

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I am reading a lot of favorable reviews for Bridgecom where customers are very happy and satisfied with their follow up (after purchase) emails, their online DMR tutorials, and with their very knowledgeable and helpful staff. Yeah, I am leaning toward the AnyTone AT-878UV Plus package from Bridgecom, with a heavy duty case and speaker mic. For someone testing the DMR waters, the DMR online academy seems like it would be a little more helpful than DMR For Dummies - don't laugh, I am reading this as we speak! ;)

Ubbe

You can use another program to read and write the database that supports the 1701. sergev/dmrconfig
I havent tried it myself but it supports the DM-1701 as it seems to be the same as the Retivis RT84. You start a dos window on the computer by starting the cmd.exe file in windows. Put the dmrconfig program and csv files at an easy to reach and simple named folder, maybe c:\dmrconfig
Move between drives just by typing the drive letter and colon and then hit enter. The CD command changes to another directory. If you have spaces in names you'll have to use " around them. CD c:\"program files". Then in the correct folder you type dmrconfig and hit enter to see the options and syntax.

/Ubbe

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
So the bottom line question I have right now - is the AnyTone AT-878UV operational right out of the box?

I don’t know of any DMR radios that are ‘operational right out of the box’

You WILL need to program ANY DMR radio you buy with what ever is locally available to you to use.

KD8DVR

Something a little unusual is going on with the AnyTone AT-D878: Had a friend just receive one and first thing we did was check the version of the firmware that was on the radio. It was 1.16a. Bridgecom website shows latest f/w as 1.16. Connect Systems sells the AnyTone line as well and is showing version 1.15 (dated Sep 15). We could not get the codeplug from his previous 878 to load on the new 878 he just bought. Read from radio just fine, but every time it would start to load the codeplug a message of "Band Error" or similar would appear in dialog box of CPS. So we "upgraded" the firmware to 1.16 and per the Bridgecom website did the "Vulcan mind meld" (my term) trick with holding the appropriate buttons down and turning on the power (details on website if you really need them). No joy.... didn't "unlock" the radio for ham use as the website said it would. I suggested he contact Bridgecom directly and they would probably be able to help. He said no, and that he was done with DMR and returned the radio.
P.S. - I have an AnyTone 868 and am VERY happy with it.

The newest 878s are band locked.... BUT they are supposed to be locked to the amateur bands. There is software floating around that lets dealers/hams enable certain bands.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
UPDATE - Bridgecom has removed the info I cited earlier from their website... apparently NA anymore. Latest info to avoid the band locked issue (which I have not tested) is that you must use the AnyTone CPS for the 878 and pulldown the "Model" menu item and ensure the correct model is selected. This pulldown item has always been in the AnyTone software, but this is the first time I've heard of it actually requiring that you use it (apparently necessary with the newer / upgraded 878).

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
So the bottom line question I have right now - is the AnyTone AT-878UV operational right out of the box?

Absolutely not! Any factory frequencies that might be in the radio would be test frequencies and should not be used. While adding analog channels might be fairly straightforward, you'll eventually need to learn how to build your own codeplug, and to do that you'll need to have an understanding of how DMR works. A bit of studying upfront will save you hours of annoyance and frustration. Lots of related info and tutorials on the web.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Well, of course, what I mean by that is - operational out of the box meaning 'unlocked' as I have read here. Ready to be programmed after the initial setup and battery charge. Yep, I am reading the DMR course offered by Bridgecom right now. I ordered the At-878UV Plus package w/GPS/Blutooth, case, speaker mic, extra battery, etc. Great package with everything I want included. Looking forward to yet another wonderful aspect of this great hobby. It never ends!

w2xq

Mentor
Tailgator, if you are new to DMR I *strongly* recommend Amateur radio notes by KE0FHS as a comprehensive introduction to all things digital.

As an aside, judging from on-air comments on the talkgroups I listen to, Anytone seems to prefer having customers do field testing of firmware upgrades. Just be prepared.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Tailgator, if you are new to DMR I *strongly* recommend Amateur radio notes by KE0FHS as a comprehensive introduction to all things digital.

As an aside, judging from on-air comments on the talkgroups I listen to, Anytone seems to prefer having customers do field testing of firmware upgrades. Just be prepared.

Thanks for that, w2xq! I believe I checked that KEOFHS out when you once recommended it to someone else. I will add that to my list to read. Now that I know more about it, it does seem very tempting to QSO with folks all over the world with just a FCC Technician's license.

Somewhat apprehensive about tackling unforeseen software problems with the AT-878UV and hoping I don't have those problems. But, after the reviews I've read, countless UTube vids, and technical comments made here, this radio seems to have a good reputation. Bridgecom seems to have a good customer care reputation and I am ready to jump into their DMR online course. We'll see what happens! Thanks much, w2xq! I always appreciate your information.

JD
kf4anc

Status
Not open for further replies.