Best DMR Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I am looking to jump into a DMR HT and don't really know which radio does what so looking for recommendations from those of you who have some knowledge of the radios out there. This is what I am looking for -

DMR all modes for amateur radio
Good DMR scanner for area commercial systems
Regular 2m/440 FM analog operation

Thanks folks!

JD
kf4anc

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
That radio looks interesting. Someone else on another group suggested an AnyTone 878. I don't know how I feel about these brands. I have some research to do comparing these radios to major brand i.e., Yaesu or Icom or Kenwood. I am trying to cram as many features as I can into one radio, including some things that are not deal breakers such as GPS, extended receive, all mode DMR so that I can transmit on DMR amateur radio repeaters, also 2m/440 MHz analog FM with common menu items such as automatic repeater shift and CTCSS tones, etc. If there is such a critter out there I will find it. Thanks for your suggestion!

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
You might also consider an Alinco DJ-MD5T from the often forgotten 'other' Japanese ham radio manufacturer. It is on sale at HRO for $129. Here is a nice review.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
The BTECH is the same as the Anytone at a better price. It does not have a blue tooth option, but I didn't need or want that anyway. It has an excellent "promiscuous" mode that lets you monitor DMR with choices that exceed any of my other radios. If your budget can take it, there is a new Rfinder dual band HT that is different from any other radio.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
+1 on the Alinco DJ-MD5TGP since you're OK with the Japanese manufacturers. It meets your requirements and includes GPS as the AnyTone 878 does. I have an Anytone AT-D868 and of the 4 different DMR handhelds and 2 DMR mobiles I own, the Anytone has the best display and operating controls.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I have resisted the urge for too long. DMR is growing around me. DMR amateur repeaters are going up. Almost the whole mall area businesses are switching to DMR. All the schools and bus drivers. Security companies. D-Star and Fusion meh so so around here. I didn't pick DMR it is basically being forced upon me lol. I want a good HT where I can chat on local DMR amateur radio repeaters and I can also listen to the DMR system at the nearby mall security co. where my future son-in-law chases shoplifters, and the school bus DMR system where my niece and a bro-in-law drive. Basically, I want to be able to hear everything DMR that I can hear on my scanners and I want to be able to transmit FM analog repeaters and amateur DMR repeaters and radio/2/radio DMR. Is that too much to ask for in a DMR HT I wonder...

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
TYT MD-UV380 < $100.

$79.95 & Free Shipping on Amazon right now. Thanks for that, w2xq! I am wondering if a low-cost introductory radio would be the best route, just in case DMR fizzles out and I lose interest (whichever comes first ha!) . Good option to have if I can't make up my mind.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
If you want a dual band portable, get the Anytone AT-D878. Hands down the best ham grade dualband portable DMR radio out there.

Ditto on that. That radio (specifically the AT-878UV) was well reviewed by ARRL and the hams I've talked with who have one give it two thumbs up. I'll probably buy one myself and sell my MD2017 (which I like except for the thumbwheel).

w2xq

Mentor
Welcome to DMR. You will probably want a hotspot too. Though I have notes on the MD-UV380, codeplug assembly and more, I *strongly* recommend someone getting into DMR et al read Amateur radio notes by KE0FHS for a comprehensive introduction to all things digital.

My attitude? I just want a simple-stupid radio that works. I don't need a fancy screen and I don't want to fool with firmware. Once I figured out how to organize a codeplug W2XQ.com : Amateur Radio: DMR: Codeplug the CPS and N0GSG DMR Contact Manager Support Page was all I needed.

Last edited:

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
You might also consider an Alinco DJ-MD5T from the often forgotten 'other' Japanese ham radio manufacturer. It is on sale at HRO for $129. Here is a nice review.
I have both the Alinco and Anytone. I, unfortunately would not recommend the Alinco.
While both the Anytone and Alinco are essentially the same radio, Alinco hasn't kept up on firmware or CPS updates while Anytone is up to v 1.16 with Alinco still at v1.10. The Alinco works perfectly well, but now falls behind in features and fixes offered in the newer firmware.

I've contacted the Alinco USA distributor and they acknowledge the lack of firmware/CPS updates, but blame Alinco Japan for the problem, all without offering a solution.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I don't need Blu-Tooth but that might be fun. When I was OTR I was permanently hitched to a Parrot headset when driving so that might be something I could get back into. I haven't seen one with extended receive or wideband receive which would be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.