Best external battery charger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChuckinSC

Premium Subscriber
OK. I'm convinced that I need to charge my batteries externally. I wonder if there's a consensus on the best battery charger to use with NiMh batteries? I hear the MH-C800S is good, but what charger do you recommend, and why? Also, if I charge my batteries externally, should I be using the black or yellow holder (since they are "rechargables") in the PSR-500? Thanks.

Last edited:

Jakemcgraw

OK. I'm convinced that I need to charge my batteries externally. I wonder if there's a consensus on the best battery charger to use with NiMh batteries? I hear the MH-C800S is good, but what charger do you recommend, and why? Also, if I charge my batteries externally, should I be using the black or yellow holder (since they are "rechargables") in the PSR-500? Thanks.
I found the Rayovac PS3 charger to be an excellent one, Also very inexpensive compared to others,(usually about $14 to 24.00 new on e-bay), but very well built and a solid overall charger, It charges C, D, AAA, 9vt., and AA , Nice thing is too you can charge odd numbers of batteries if you want, anywhere from 1 to 8 AA, and AAA batteries, and up to 4 of the C and D size, or 1 9 Volt...One of the main features is it charges each cell individually, which is important and not on alot of other chargers. www.rayovac.com

raisindot

I recently got a Lacrosse Technologies BC-700. It's the little brother to their BC-900, the only difference between then I can see is that the 900 can charge at a higher amp rate. Since I only slow charge anyway, it wasn't worth the extra $30. I got the BC-700 for $32.00 at Amazon. Of course, as soon as I get that the BC-900 cuts its price, so you can now get it for $39 there.

I don't any "professional" chargers to compare it to, but it does great for me. It can charge up to 4 AA or AAA batteries simultaneously, and each battery can be charged independently in several different modes (charge, "refresh," and test) and at several different charge rates, from 200 to (I believe) 700 amp. It has an individual display for each battery that can tell the either current charge or the current charge rate.

I'm quite happy with mine.

Suzie

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Also, if I charge my batteries externally, should I be using the black or yellow holder (since they are "rechargables") in the PSR-500? Thanks.

If you're charging your batteries externally, it doesn't matter which holder you use in the radio, either the black or yellow one will work.

raisindot

If you're charging your batteries externally, it doesn't matter which holder you use in the radio, either the black or yellow one will work.

Wouldn't you'd always just want to use the yellow one with rechargeables anyway, in case you
"accidentally" plugged in the AC adaptor with the batteries still in there? Or is the purpose of the black holder to prevent non-rechargeables from getting "cooked" by the AC adaptor and therefore it's not relevant to rechargeables?

Suzie

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Wouldn't you'd always just want to use the yellow one with rechargeables anyway, in case you
"accidentally" plugged in the AC adaptor with the batteries still in there? Or is the purpose of the black holder to prevent non-rechargeables from getting "cooked" by the AC adaptor and therefore it's not relevant to rechargeables?

Suzie

Well, I do that myself, but I just pointed out that as long as you are only charging your batteries externally, either holder will work. I do use the yellow holder with rechargables, out of habit, even though I never charge the batteries inside the radio. If you sometimes have need to charge batteries inside the scanner, then I would definitely do as you suggest.

gd9704

Suzie

I may be mistaken, but if you have the scanner set to "alkaline" in the global setting, it won't matter what battery holder you use, they will not be charged. I use rechargables in my 500 but keep it set on "alkaline," since I only use an external charger.

Someone may correct me on this, but I think I'm correct......

mikey60

Suzie

The Black battery case does not have the charging contact, and is the safest case to use to prevent accidental charging (regardless of which type of battery is in the case). Even if you use the AC adapter or car adapter, no charging will occur on the batteries. If you do not want to charge batteries inside the radio, the black case is the one you want to use. You can use any type of battery in that case (NiMH, Nicad, Alkaline).

The Yellow case does have the charging contact. You should not put alkaline batteries in this case if you ever use the AC adapter or a Car Adapter. If the AC adapter or car adapter are used with the Yellow case, a charging current will be sent to the batteries.

Mike

kcoleman

I recently got a Lacrosse Technologies BC-700. It's the little brother to their BC-900, the only difference between then I can see is that the 900 can charge at a higher amp rate. Since I only slow charge anyway, it wasn't worth the extra $30. I got the BC-700 for $32.00 at Amazon. Of course, as soon as I get that the BC-900 cuts its price, so you can now get it for $39 there.

I don't any "professional" chargers to compare it to, but it does great for me. It can charge up to 4 AA or AAA batteries simultaneously, and each battery can be charged independently in several different modes (charge, "refresh," and test) and at several different charge rates, from 200 to (I believe) 700 amp. It has an individual display for each battery that can tell the either current charge or the current charge rate.

I'm quite happy with mine.

Suzie

I bought the BC-900. The main feature that sold me on this unit was the ability to recondition batteries. Suzie is correct... you can charge at different rates with several modes of operation. For me, it's already paid for itself with all the older rechargables I have.

Good Luck,

Status
Not open for further replies.