Best Fire and EMS Scanner for Regina, SK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Globalregina

Hi Everyone,

New here so please excuse any silly mistakes on my part. I work for Global News in Regina and we are looking at expanding our scanner capabilities. I'm looking at buying a portable scanner that we can listen to fire and Ems on. May also buy a base scanner for the same purposes. Any advice on what to buy? All I know is that it should be a trunk scanner.

colby4601

Hello and welcome to the forum! First off, if you're going to buy a base scanner, I would suggest purchasing a BCT-8 or BCT-15. While the BCT-8 is older, it is definitely one of the better scanners, especially for the city system. If you're looking for something newer and more capabilities, then the BCT-15 would be a good choice.

As for a handheld, I would suggest a digital scanner, as you can monitor Fire and EMS as well as RCMP. And when the City of Regina moves to a P25 system in the coming years, you will already have the necessary equipment. For this, I would suggest the BCD396XT.

If you would like, send me a Private Message and I would be happy to meet/discuss this with you and help you figure the proper solution out.

SCPD

QRT
I would recommend the GRE PSR-500 scanner for a portable scanner.

You can read about this unit at ScannerMasters site:

GRE PSR-500 Police Scanner Radio

The BCT-8 scanner is NOT one that I would recommend as I don't think that it has alpha tagging. This is according to the Uniden website.

The GRE scanner described above has been found to be about 18 DB more sensitive than the 396 models from Uniden, thus it will perform better with marginal antennas.

HDMechanic

I suggest the Undien models over the GRE models due to the fact that the GRE units don't due well with external antennas and they will quite often get interference from other trunk towers and cell phone towers, Thats what I found when I had the GRE scanners. Also have found the Unidens will handle a little more abuse and are the portables are smaller in size, Thats my two cents.

colby4601

While the BCT-8 may not be the "best" in your opinion emdscan, it is one of the better scanners for this system in Regina, as noted earlier. While it does not have Alpha tags, the Fire/EMS talkgroups are pretty easy to figure out.

Further more, I wouldn't recommend a GRE scanner, but a Uniden. In the end, it all comes down to personal choice, but I, as well as others have been using Uniden's on this system for year. When I tried a PSR-600, it proved to be a waste of money.

Some scanners are better than others for each system. From a hands on, on-the-ground perspective for this system, I would definitely go with a Uniden. Plain and simple.

Kel

I agree with you Colby that everyone has a personal choice of radio's and we are all waiting for that perfect radio to come out still,I have had them all and I agree Uniden does have some extra features than GRE but I think if your a first time user the GRE may be a little easier to program and once you get the hang of things of course then there is software to make things easier,just my thoughts.

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
I agree with the choice of a 396XT but would suggest the 996XT as a base if you are planning for the future. Most likely the base would be used at the assignment desk listened to by many. Shooters get used to their own hand helds but most of the news room staff would prefer the alpha tags. The Unidens also filter out the ENC stuff when the GRE's do not.

Globalregina

Thanks for all your suggestions folks! I think we'll go with the Uniden scanners. Sounds like there is good local experience here in Regina and I have a brief history with them from another station. Colby, sadly I can't figure out how to PM you but I am certainly interested in getting in touch.

colby4601

Thanks for all your suggestions folks! I think we'll go with the Uniden scanners. Sounds like there is good local experience here in Regina and I have a brief history with them from another station. Colby, sadly I can't figure out how to PM you but I am certainly interested in getting in touch.

I'll grab your email off the admin screen and send you a quick note with my contact info.

jayyaciw

Hi Everyone,

New here so please excuse any silly mistakes on my part. I work for Global News in Regina and we are looking at expanding our scanner capabilities. I'm looking at buying a portable scanner that we can listen to fire and Ems on. May also buy a base scanner for the same purposes. Any advice on what to buy? All I know is that it should be a trunk scanner.

I think if u get a scanner could u please put this feed back on line??? U just have to volunteer to use your scanner. Please and thanks !!

Status
Not open for further replies.