Best Free Anti Virus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N0IU

there is a new spyware/malware program out there too that is free.

SUPERAntiSpyware, i like it
Oh I beg to differ! This is the best FREE spyware/malware removal program out there: Malwarebytes!

Malwarebytes.org

I run Trend Internet Security and thought I was protected until I ran Malwarebytes. However, it is best to run it at night before you go to bed. I can take a while!

PCTEK

Premium Subscriber
Free... From Microsoft...

I used AVG, but I didnt like how much system resources it took up. I switched to Avast, same issue. Then after reading good reviews on Microsoft's Security Esentials, I switched to it. I have been pleased with it's protection, quick updates to it's data base when new threats are discovered and it doesnt take up my systems resources. MSE has my vote (at least for now)

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
I used AVG, but I didnt like how much system resources it took up. I switched to Avast, same issue. Then after reading good reviews on Microsoft's Security Esentials, I switched to it. I have been pleased with it's protection, quick updates to it's data base when new threats are discovered and it doesnt take up my systems resources. MSE has my vote (at least for now)

MSE is free right? I might have to go look that up on microsofts website and download ita nd try for myself, if its great im taking AVG off my PC.

What about windows defender? Anyone trust the use of windows defender?

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber

Same here. An old laptop would slow down to a crawl with XP and AVG. Since Security Essentials, its been running fine.

N0IU

I just put MSE on my Live Feed PC running XP Pro just to see what all the fuss was about. For those of you running XP and have not kept up to date with the updates (like me!), you will need to download Windows Installer 3.1 or above or you will get Installation Error 0x80070643. Windows installer 3.1 can be manually installed from: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893803

Happy Boxing Day!

Xplorer4x4

I've tried most of them and the one that works the best for me is Comodo.

Free Firewall - Download the Best Firewall Protection and Anti-Virus Scan Software from Comodo

I have had no intrusions, malware, viruses, or issues for about a year, now, since I installed Comodo. Upgrades have been complete with no problems. I have never received any offers for upgrades nor is the free Comodo laced with advertisements. It works.

Oh I beg to differ! This is the best FREE spyware/malware removal program out there: Malwarebytes!

Malwarebytes.org

I run Trend Internet Security and thought I was protected until I ran Malwarebytes. However, it is best to run it at night before you go to bed. I can take a while!

Both of these are among the top programs in the security world. I use comodo along with Nod32 Antivirus. I also use Malwarebytes for daily scans, but not real time protection. Its been very rare in the few years I used Nod32 to see anything slip through, but what does get through, malwarebytes has gotten 99% of the time, and the other 1% goes to F Secure Rescue Cd for getting boot sector viruses. Avast and AVG are good free scanners, but when it comes down to it there protection is nothing compared to Nod32.

Premium Subscriber
Avast user for the last two years with Windows defender helping out. Stopped all my issues.

Xplorer4x4

Try running something like Malwarebytes, theres a free version, or the nod32 trial. I dont mean to sound rude, but just because Avast,AVG,etc report your virus free, doesnt mean its true. I had a friend running Avast Pro, just the other week. Got a virus. Avast refused to get it out. He tried malwarebytes, not only did it get it out, but it got a number of underlining viruses Avast missed out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.