Best Free Anti Virus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
Ok seems that I cant get AVG back on my PC for some reason, does anyone have something else better then AVG they really trust that I could try on my computer?

whats the best other then AVG or if there is something better then AVG.

Cant leave my PC vulnerable

SCPD

QRT
Ok seems that I cant get AVG back on my PC for some reason, does anyone have something else better then AVG they really trust that I could try on my computer?

whats the best other then AVG or if there is something better then AVG.

Cant leave my PC vulnerable

You're not giving us a whole lot of information here. Is there a firewall running? Have you uninstalled the previous version first? Are you getting any kind of error codes or error messages?

ChargerSRT8

Premium Subscriber
Avast also. Running on my Win7 with no problems. The registration number is e-mailed to you and is good for a year. Then you just re-register for another year. In fact, I just use the same number for all my installs.

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
Nah it doesnt tell me firewall is blocking, just its asking if the net is connected and it is.

I was already able to get pass the error it was giving me but eh my licence expired, i hate these 30 day trials lol.

Nortan is a definite no no for me.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Nah it doesnt tell me firewall is blocking, just its asking if the net is connected and it is.

I was already able to get pass the error it was giving me but eh my licence expired, i hate these 30 day trials lol.

I have AVG free edition,and there is no 30 day trial? What AVG download did you use?
So far it's worked great and it's been about 3months.
N9ZAS

CapStar362

they released a new downloader that you have to select the free version or the 30 day trial, it selects 30 day trial by default

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Best Anti-Virus Program

:lol: I have been using Microsoft Security Essentials with Vista home premium for two months and it works great, I now have Windows 7 Home Premium x64 for three months and Microsoft Security Essentials does every thing I want and it's free.
Steve

SCPD

QRT

K, first off, you won't receive an error that your firewall is blocking, but the install will bomb. Also, why are downloading the trial version? There are three versions available; a free version, a 30-day try before you buy version, and a purchase version. My free version doesn't time out after 30 days, so it sounds like you might have accidently download the incorrect version of AVG. That download page is confusing as hell, this I know.

But if you still have problems installing, disable/unload/exit your firewall software then try installing again. If fails after that, there is probably a registry issue that needs addressed.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I use AVG Free on all my machines that don't have AVG Internet Security (the pay version). It takes a serious amount of effort to get the free version, as you have to go through about 4 pages where they give you a giant "get a free 30 day trial of AVG IS" and a tiny "..or download the free (like you asked)" link somewhere else on the page.

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
Longtime Avast user here, but recently switched to Microsoft Security Essentials on all of our home computers based on the very positive reviews it has received. A solid "All in one" package vs. 1 antivirus and multiple spyware/malware programs just made sense. MSE has been working very well so far.

John_M

Download free Antivirus / AntiMalware software from here:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads29.html

I personally use Avira Free.

I also use Spyware Doctor (not free).

Malwarebytes Anti Malware is probably the best free antimalware software out there.

If you are behind a router then your computer is hidden from outside attacks. Basically telling everybody that your computer does not exist.

If you aren't behind a router than you need a input/output blocking firewall. If you are than you only need output blocking (this is information your computer may send out if you are infected). With the firewall it will just ask your permission before it sends it out.

I didn't know Microsoft Security Essentials even existed. I will check into that when I have some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.