Best FRS/GMRS Handheld ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

buffalogoat

Wanted opinions on the best handheld FRS/GMRS radios. I was leaning toward the Motorola SX700R but I also like the Midland GTX-600 which claims to have better distance than the Motorolas.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Other postings like this in the past (you may want to search the forums for prior discussion) usually come back to "the pro models are better" the bubble pack models are anemic.
I've gotten FRS signals a little over 3 miles clearly but I never count on it, figure 1 mile for ANY FRS or GMRS bubble pack, I've tested quite a few, some 4 watts and boasting 14 miles (they achieved approx 1000' more than the FRS 1/2 watt model)

scanfan03

Premium Subscriber
If you want the best, then I would get a GMRS license ($80 with no test) and get a commercial radio, not a "bubble-pack" piece of crap.

N

N_Jay

Not for every model, but generally Motorola has better than average bubble pack radios.

There is no magic, so get the model with the biggest battery and the longest antenna.

diveben

Premium Subscriber
frs/gmrs radio

From personal opinion, the Motorola radios are fine for general consumer usage and they feel much more rugged than some other bubble pack radios on the store shelves.

Of course, FRS/GMRS are line-of-sight frequencies so the real range you will get with them mostly depends on the elevation and surroundings where you plan to use them. 5,10,14 mile ranges are not realistic if you are using them in hilly areas or in dense urban areas.

If you want to get some serious range (40+ miles) with FRS/GMRS radios, make friends with anyone operating a free, open GMRS repeater in your area. You can start with

http://www.g-m-r-s.org/
http://www.popularwireless.com/

Some repeaters work with these bubble pack radios by a store and forward method of which I'm not all too familiar. Other repeaters will have input frequencies ~5MHz above the standard GMRS operating frequencies. To use those repeater types you will need a GMRS radio that is repeater capable.

If you are looking for a great commercial FRS/GMRS radio that is mil-spec and repeater capable, I'd take a look at the Icom IC-F21GM (FRS/GMRS) or Icom IC-F21BR (FRS/GMRS/BRS).

R

Rayjk110

I've always used my HT1000/MTS2000 for GMRS/FRS B.S.'ing when need be

rescuecomm

How do you change pl's on the Icom F21GM. If you need interoperatability with other persons using GMRS/FRS as on a cruise, you may need that abililty. If you are going to be talking to other members of your family on the same channel/pl, then the Icoms may be better.

N

N_Jay

Rayjk110 said:
I've always used my HT1000/MTS2000 for GMRS/FRS B.S.'ing when need be

I guess we should just skip the whole, "It's not approved for FRS" discussion, hu? :roll:

diveben

Premium Subscriber
The HT1000 and MTS2000 appear to be fine radios, but if I'm not mistaken you need to have the motorola software in order to program them.

Also, as N_Jay brought up to use the FRS frequencies you cannot transmit more than 1/2w of power, and both of those motorolas transmit 1w to 4w, so I wouldn't recommend using them for FRS.

As far as the Icom IC-F21GM radio, setting the CTCSS is as follows:

o While pushing and holding [PTT], [MONI], [W/N], turn [OFF/VOL]
to power ON.
o Select the desired CH 1 to CH 15 that you want to assign the
CTCSS tone frequency to.
o Push and hold [MONI] until a beep (Pi) is emitted.
o Push [PTT] the necessary number of times to choose the 10 digit
of the desired channel from the channel list.
o Push [MONI].
• Confirmation beep is emitted. (See p. 17)
o Push [PTT] the necessary number of times to choose the 1 digit
of the desired channel from the frequency list.
o Push [MONI].
o Turn the power OFF, and then ON again.

Setting the DTCS tone is similar.

JohnnyGalaga

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I would get something that runs off of AA batteries, that way you're not limitted to those proprietary battery packs. AA batteries are cheaper and easier to replace for uninterrupted use.

At least you'd have the option of using alkalines which have great shelf-life unlike rechargeables, so when you go to use the radio four months down the road the stupid batteries won't be dead.

Some of the FRS-included chargers are moronic because both chargers are stuck together which means both radios hafta be charged at the same location. When your batteries die, everyone has to get together to recharge them. :roll:

Meanwhile, you're waiting 15 hours before you can use the radios again. I could go on and on.

rescuecomm

PL are set just like the Motorola Spirit Business radios. Okay, thats cool. Amen on the battery packs. I have a pair of Radio Shack 19-903's and the nicad packs are no longer available. Bummer!

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Good advice on being able to use alkalines if desired.
I bought expensive NiHydrides about 2 years ago, in 2-3 weeks they self-drain to the point of near useless.

landonjensen

Has anyone used The Talkabout T7400 ? It seems like a very good motorola FRS/GMRS radio, though i dont own it. Your feedback is appreciated.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Out of all the bubble pack FRS/GMRS radios, I found Cobra's to be the best. Not only do they perform well, they are full of features, and actually have a solid feel to them.

The best bet, as others have mentioned is to obtain a GMRS license and get a professional Motorola radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.