• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Best GMRS vehicle radio and antennas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WRUH391

I'm new to the forum and radio. Just bought my GMRS license and I'm studying for my technicians license for HAM.

I plan to put GMRS radios into my Jeep Wrangler and F350 pick up truck. The Jeep will need a shorter antenna for going off-road. I'm currently running a 24" firestik CB antenna on my tire mount and it is just even with the softtop for tree clearance. I also see they have little nubby antennas too like the 3db ghost which would work on a fender bracket. Or if there is a good surface mount mushroom type antenna that could sit in the center of the hood? I have a 24" whip (firestik) on the tire carrier for the CB and that is dead even with the roof on the soft top so trees don't take it out.

The truck won't have a height issue- so whatever is best, probably mounted to the front of the bed rail behind the cab. 6db 32" whip?

Finally, are the Midland micro mobiles any good? The MXT500 looks like it'll work well in the truck and the remote mount MXT575 looks ideal for the Jeep.

2IR473

Premium Subscriber
There is a lot of discussion on the Midland mobiles over on the mygmrs forum. Also many people with Jeeps, and recommendations for mounting antennas. Check that out.

Midland radios are generally ok, but a bit overpriced in my opinion. There are many other options that are less money, but they might also be less than 50 watts output, so only you can decide how much power you need, and if the remote controls on the microphone of the MXT575 are important to you. Also, the Midlands are pretty much “plug and play”, and if you don’t want to mess with programming radios and such, you pay for that convenience.

I’m sure you will get a lot of suggestions from people, but you have to figure out how you intend to use GMRS, and since you are looking to get a ham radio license, will you also have to go spend even more money when you do that? There may be ways to consolidate your expenses, so I would not grab the Midland radios just yet, since that would be nearly $800 in radios alone.

I will say that I have both a GMRS and ham radio license, and also have a CB radio in my truck. There are ways to cover all those frequencies with a minimum of radios and antennas, but it may not be within the parameters of the FCC rules. But then again, the FCC isn’t subsidizing our purchases of radios, and many of us do not have access to unlimited taxpayer funding, so we do what we have to.

prcguy

This is about the best GMRS compatible radio for the price I have seen in recent times. Motorola XTL1500, 45W, 450-512MHz and common software will take it to 440MHz for amateur use. This company has them refurbished and guaranteed for $99. You will need a mic and power cables but those are available for about $50. You can also get the parts to remote the head making it fit in tight vehicles.

I have two of these radios sitting in front of me at the moment. One thing I do for GMRS is make use of the multiple PL feature where you can build a table of all PL tones and assign them to any frequency. You can also have a repeater talk around button that provides a simplex frequency, scan, high/low power and other stuff. This is great for GMRS so you can just program the eight GMRS repeater pairs then push a button and scroll through all the PL tones to find the one for any area. Lots of features and quality for a cheap price.

I have bought from this company many times and they will take care of you. Motorola XTL1500 M28SSS9PW1AN UHF R2 Mobile Radio 450-520 P25 WARRANTY FIRE | eBay

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'm new to the forum and radio. Just bought my GMRS license and I'm studying for my technicians license for HAM.

Welcome.
A lot of the suggestions will depend on your skill level and how much effort you want to put into this.
While CB radio is a good start, some of the knowledge required to program a GMRS radio or even an amateur radio is different. Giving us some more information about your skill level, budget, and how easy you want this to be would help us give you a better answer.

I plan to put GMRS radios into my Jeep Wrangler and F350 pick up truck. The Jeep will need a shorter antenna for going off-road. I'm currently running a 24" firestik CB antenna on my tire mount and it is just even with the softtop for tree clearance. I also see they have little nubby antennas too like the 3db ghost which would work on a fender bracket. Or if there is a good surface mount mushroom type antenna that could sit in the center of the hood? I have a 24" whip (firestik) on the tire carrier for the CB and that is dead even with the roof on the soft top so trees don't take it out.

The truck won't have a height issue- so whatever is best, probably mounted to the front of the bed rail behind the cab. 6db 32" whip?

The antenna and its installation will play the biggest role in the success or failure of your setup.
Mounting a UHF antenna down below the cab on the bed rail isn't going to work well. It's shadowed behind the cab which is going to make it very directional towards the rear. The cab will block the signal going forward.
For UHF, your best option is to do a permanent installation on the roof of the cab. That gets it on a good ground plane and in the clear with nothing blocking it. That's going to give you the best performance.
I run full size pickups and always install an NMO mount dead center in the roof. It takes some effort to do that, plus a few tools you may not already own, but it is worth it.

The Jeep gets to be a bit of a challenge. You want a good ground plane under the antenna if possible. As you are suggesting, best place for that would be center of the hood. While some might laugh at the idea, I know a guy with a Jeep that did that exact thing. He used it for a VHF antenna and it worked pretty well.
You don't want to mount it in the same place as the CB antenna, as you want some separation between them. You could do a 1/2 wave antenna mounted off the edge of the fender. There's a user on this site that did that exact setup with a GMRS antenna, as well as his CB antenna and amateur radio antenna.

The Midland "Ghost" antennas are not the best design. They are a physically short antenna that leads to less than ideal performance. You can get a 1/4 wave VHF whip (about 6 inches tall) that will likely work better and be less expensive. You can use a higher gain antenna, but that doesn't always help with coverage.

Finally, are the Midland micro mobiles any good? The MXT500 looks like it'll work well in the truck and the remote mount MXT575 looks ideal for the Jeep.

For an "off the shelf" consumer grade GMRS mobile, it's hard to beat. It'll do everything you want on GMRS and it'll be essentially ready to go out of the box. As stated above, you pay for that convenience. The other benefit is that it'll likely match what others are using, so it makes setting up the radio to talk to someone else that much easier. Drawback is that it'll only do GMRS.

The XTL-1500 mentioned by prcguy is a good option. Excellent radio. The only drawback is that the programming software has a pretty steep learning curve. Not impossible, but it takes some time to learn. If you can get a file from someone else who has already set one up for GMRS, it'll make your introduction to the software quite a bit easier. One benefit, as mentioned, is you can program it to work on the 70cm amateur band, so one radio will do GMRS and amateur. That's a pretty good feature right there.

Another option is the Kenwood TK-8180. It's a physically smaller radio and can be set up with a remote head kit to make installation easier (similar to the XTL-1500). The Kenwood KPG-89 programming software is easier to learn, probably one of the easier commercial radio softwares out there.
TK-8180K 450-520MHz 30 watts. This one is the only version that has the FCC Part 90 certification that is technically required for GMRS
TK-8180HK 450-520MHz 45 watts. Doesn't have Part 95, but does have some more power. Don't get hung up on transmitter power, it doesn't make that much difference.
TK-8180K2 400-470MHz 30 watts. Doesn't have Part 95, but will cover the 70cm band. Again, don't get hung up on that 15 watts...
TK-8180HK2 400-470MHz 45 watts. Again, no Part 95, but will do GMRS and 70cm if you ignore that little section in the rules.

The TK-8180K version will usually stretch down into the 70cm band just fine.
As for the FCC Part 95 thing, many choose to ignore that section of the rules. That's a decision you need to make.

So, essentially, it comes down to how much effort you want to put into all this. The Midlands are suitable radios and are pretty high on the "Easy" scale. There are better radios on the commercial side, but they come with some challenges that can be overcome with some work.

Only other thing I'd add:
The effort you put into the installation is directly proportional to how well the radio is going to work. You absolutely want to run power for all your radios direct from the battery. Don't tap into existing wiring, as that picks up noise/interference you don't want. Don't use cigarette lighter sockets, either.
Permanent mount antennas will give you better performance, and getting the antennas on a good ground plane and in the clear is well worth the effort.

WRUH391

Thanks for the insight fellas. I'm pretty handy and decent with technical stuff. I'm a retired Navy helo pilot so I'm familiar with UHF/VHF radios. Heck we had an HF in the helo too, but they never really taught us how to use it. Since it was analog with click numbers, we would consume hours trying to "scan" for stuff while flying around the world.

I recently bought a cheapo Baofeng handheld like all the preppers do. I don't plan to ever have to use it, it's just going to live with the survival gear in the closet. But I did figure out how to program it with some frequency lists. I threw FRS/GMRS, marine VHF, Wx, and some other freqs in there for fun.

My use on these GMRS will solely be to talk to each vehicle if we're traveling with both of them. Or in the Jeep to talk to other Jeeps in the jeep club. Or if my kids are roaming around with hand held FRS radios.

If I pursue HAM, it'll likely be from a base station at home. I don't see myself chatting while driving around on HAM freqs.

prcguy

For the Jeep I would recommend and NMO trunk lip mount on the hood near the hinge. I see a lot of people getting brackets that go in the gap between the hood and body which places the base of the antenna about 6" below the top of the hood. The top of the hood with a trunk lip mount is much more in the clear and will work better.

Here is a picture of how the mount looks on the hood without the antenna.

1661734869791.jpeg

6079smithw

I've had really good luck with Motorola CM300s... 32 channels, 25-45 watts, 438-470 mHz 12.5/20/25 kHz spacing
fits in a single DIN slot. Sturdy and relatively inexpensive. Downside--- Moto RSS pgm software required, not exactly part 95.
I'm using a 5/8 Larsen NMO on the roof with excellent results. YMMV of course.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
While I am a tried and true Motorola guy if your use case for GMRS is on the trail with your buddies grab the MTX275 / 575 for the Jeep. I run one in both my jeeps because its simple and the same as what everyone else is running. The Jeep has limited room and the hand held control head makes it easy (I run a APX8500 with O3 head also). I have GMRS in my APX but it got confusing changing tones and such so went with the MTX. Even this weekend the MTX was used alot as everyone would say channel 3 or 4 and code xx. With my APX I have all the PL tones I can muster in the MPL list but multiple times the crew has of course picked on i didn't have.

Go with the hood mount and a 1/4 wave on the jeep and you'll be fine. Im not a fan of the ghost for many reasons on GMRS (Work fine on my TLMR systems)

K6GBW

The MTX275 is really a great radio for Jeeps. For what you want to do a small quarter wave antenna on the hood mount will be just fine. At 15 watts on that set up you'll get a mile or two off road and a bit more on the highway. If you are used to military tactical air radios you'll appreciate GRMS a lot better than the squawking CB. In fact, you may want to consider not bothering with CB. It's fallen out of favor with pretty much everyone. Even truckers rarely use it since many companies now forbid them to even be in the truck. The overland crowd and Jeep clubs have pretty much all switched to GMRS. If you are planning to get into ham radio then you might want to start with a simple hand held radio. For trail use they aren't that bad. I've been using nothing but a hand held for a few years now that I switched to a Subaru. Just keep your expectations in check. It's not gonna be like using the radio at 1500 feet!

Status
Not open for further replies.