• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Best guesses on cause of issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

karlcam

I work at an outlying EMS station. Our bosses don't make it over here too often. Our 800 radio is having an issue with hearing the wrong people and now talking to the wrong people. I am not well versed on P25 systems. So don't crucify me if I use the wrong terminology.

Our agency has a talkgroup. A nearby agency the operates non-emergency services is not even listed in entities having a talkgroup.

The radio inside our station is a mobile unit, Motorola XTL 1500. It is tied into an desktop power supply. The channel selector does not stop at the last channel has it is turned. Just like an old TV dial it rolls right back from the last channel to the first. In this case there are 14 items stored. The first and last channel should be exactly the same, "EMS". But they are not.

The performance is inconsistent. Often we will hear the non-emergency service's dispatch and mobile units on our radio. Often but not always. A couple times by switching from the 1st channel to the 14th channel I will stop hearing them.

Most often I have to select the 14th channel to talk to our dispatcher. If I use the 1st channel, often/usually our dispatchers do not hear me.

Recently the channel selector was in the 14th channel position and the display correctly indicated "EMS". I tried to talk with our dispatcher. The non-emergency company's dispatcher answered me and told me that I was on the wrong frequency. I switched to the "EMS" in the 1st channel position. Nobody answered me and there was no beep as I keyed the mic. When I switched back to the EMS in the 14th channel position the other agency answered me again.

When we returned to the station an hour or two later, I was not hearing the non-emergency company's radio traffic and our dispatcher answered me. When I bring the issue up I get a lot of very well informed folks trying to explain how I have done something wrong. These well informed people understand trunk radio system less than I do. LOL.

Any ideas on what is wrong and how I might express it accurately to the powers that be?

karlcam

Duplicate radio ID.

Thanks for the reply.

So you think that this mobile unit is ID'd the same as another? Wouldn't that cause issues with the other as well assuming it were online? And how would that explain the inconsistencies in operation?

a417

whomever is in charge needs to rectify this, and make sure that a mission-critical piece of infrastructure isn't misconfigured. You may be aware of it, and can describe issues, but you should not be the one trying to fix it.

Someone will be on the wrong channel, a call will be missed, and lawsuits can ensure. Been there, done that. Take a cellphone video of it as proof. You need to start the paper trail so this can be fixed in a timely and expedient manner, not being another cook with his fingers in the pie.

My guess is a single visit by radio-service will fix this.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Thanks for the reply.

So you think that this mobile unit is ID'd the same as another? Wouldn't that cause issues with the other as well assuming it were online? And how would that explain the inconsistencies in operation?

It's the same as some other unit in my opinion. The inconsistency completely makes sense, whichever unit transmitted or affiliated last will be the controlling TG.

If you have the ability to call alert another unit turn off the unit with the issue then send a CA to that ID. If it goes through you've confirmed a duplicate ID.

karlcam

If you have the ability to call alert another unit turn off the unit with the issue then send a CA to that ID. If it goes through you've confirmed a duplicate ID.

I don't have any of those abilities. All I have is the ability to report the issue... which I have.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I don't have any of those abilities. All I have is the ability to report the issue... which I have.

Ok. It could be something else, but 99.999% of the time hearing the wrong audio is a duplicate ID.

karlcam

but you should not be the one trying to fix it.

Beyond describing it when reporting, I have no intention of trying to fix it.

My guess is a single visit by radio-service will fix this.
I think the hesitancy stems from the $400 charge for an on-site visit. Since the company coming out will find out the they failed to program the unit properly, I am confident we would not wind up getting charged for anything. But all I can do it report. Up to others to take action from there.

a417

I think the hesitancy stems from the $400 charge for an on-site visit.
Then they find out the average cost of an out of court settlement for a negligence case, mindsets change rapidly...so does upper echelon management.

a417

Duplicate Radio ID as other has stated.
Probably the reason the infallible 'powers that be' don't want to call radio service, they'll get told they have an illegal subscriber unit on the system...which they might already know.

Status
Not open for further replies.