Best Ham Books

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryradio

Premium Subscriber
Im looking to learn more about amature ham radio and was wondering what books titles authors are considered the standard , best or most comprehensive in the hobby?

KC0KM

Depends on what you are going to study, and for what.

For instance there is Ham Radio For Dummies (http://www.amazon.com/Ham-Radio-Dummies-Ward-Silver/dp/0764559877). A fairly good over all book for some introduction, and understanding of what it is.

For study there are the ARRL books, there is one for each class of license. The first level, which is for Technician is this -- Amazon.com: ARRL Ham Radio License Manual: All You Need to Become an Amateur Radio Operator (Arrl Ham Radio License Manual) (Arrl Ham Radio License Manual) (9780872599635): H. Ward Silver, American Radio Relay League: Books

There are also the Gordon West books, which also covers all licenses classes.

These are great places to start.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
If you purchase any amateur radio license study guide, make sure it contains the current question pool.

The effective dates of the three question pools can be found here:

NCVEC - Amateur Question Pools

K3DC

All the books you've had recommended are good, but rather than spend money right away, go to the Library and see what they have on the subject. But be warned that some of those books will be OLD, and won't help on specific questions on the current exams. For that you WILL need an up-to-date study guide.

They'll help you understand the subject though, and once you understand something about radio the exact questions on the test will be easier to master. Instead of just memorizing test questions, you'll learn the subject. All you really need to memorize are things like what you can and can't do on the air, and the regulations that we have to follow.

Next, find out when and where any Amateur Radio clubs in your area meet. Go to a meeting and introduce yourself- almost all club meetings are open to non-members. Most will welcome newcomers, and they usually have classes for prospective hams to teach you what you need to pass the exams. It's possible they'll have study materials available, or could recommend something and tell you where you can get it- sometimes at a discount.

When you're ready to take your exam, it's a good bet the club will have information on where and when the exams are given, and then be ready to help you get started. One of the strongest traditions we have in Amateur Radio is the Elmer, an experienced ham who'll take a newcomer under his wing to guide and mentor him. I still have the highest regard for my Elmer, and I've been honored to perform that function a few times since then.

Good luck, and I hope some day I may be able to meet you on the air.

73, Bill Carrigan K3DC

ryradio

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the replies. I went to the library and picked up their most recent ARRL manual, unfortunetly its from 2006 but at least it gives me an idea. Also checked out "The beginners handbook of amateur radio" by Clay Laster. Lots of new information to ingest for sure while I have been listening to the single side bands.

Status
Not open for further replies.