Best handheld antenna for 450-460?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusco25

What antenna is the best for 450-460 range? I was told the RS 800Mhz would be a good choice so I got it and returned it, it was no different than stock.. I have a big ole ST2 a buddy gave me but I can not mount it outside where I live but I did set it in a corner and hooked it up to my scanner and it was no different than stock. I am trying to pull in a state police tower that is around 17-20 miles away.. I can pick it up but mainly only hear one side or nothing at all and only get 1-3 bars when I do hear something. That is the same for the RS and ST2 antenna. I been looking at the Diamond SRH77CA and SRJ77CA what about those? or is there better ones out there?

Last edited:

dragonball

antenna

What antenna is the best for 450-460 range? I was told the RS 800Mhz would be a good choice so I got it and returned it, it was no different than stock.. I have a big ole ST2 a buddy gave me but I can not mount it outside where I live but I did set it in a corner and hooked it up to my scanner and it was no different than stock. I am trying to pull in a state police tower that is around 17-20 miles away.. I can pick it up but mainly only hear one side or nothing at all and only get 1-3 bars when I do hear something. That is the same for the RS and ST2 antenna. I been looking at the Diamond SRH77CA and SRJ77CA what about those? or is there better ones out there?

Diamond SRH77CA
that's what i have

Choosing an antenna has alot of factors in it. Like what type of envirment are you in? If in a rural envirment a dB gain antenna in that range would help. If in a urban envirment a 1/4 wave antenna would help. If in a urban envirment I suggest this one:Laird Technologies QW450 450-470 1/4 Wave Antenna, Unity, Brass Button | TESSCO. And if in rural envirment I suggest this antenna:Laird Technologies B4503 450-470 MHz 3dB 5/8 Wave w/ Load Coil & Chrome Rod | TESSCO. I also suggest getting a mag mount to put the antenna on it.

Dusco25

Choosing an antenna has alot of factors in it. Like what type of envirment are you in? If in a rural envirment a dB gain antenna in that range would help. If in a urban envirment a 1/4 wave antenna would help. If in a urban envirment I suggest this one:Laird Technologies QW450 450-470 1/4 Wave Antenna, Unity, Brass Button | TESSCO. And if in rural envirment I suggest this antenna:Laird Technologies B4503 450-470 MHz 3dB 5/8 Wave w/ Load Coil & Chrome Rod | TESSCO. I also suggest getting a mag mount to put the antenna on it.
What type of cable do I need to hook it to my scanner?

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Very hard to tell your situation, but piecing together from your question and replies it appears the following is true:
- You can't put an antenna outside
- You want to listen to a distant UHF station using a scanner-mounted portable antenna (telescoping)
- You want to do this indoors
- An ST-2 indoors did not work
- You aren't sure about what cable to use to hook antennas to your scanner
Assuming the above are correct, then it is highly unlikely another portable antenna is going to work better indoors than the ST-2 UNLESS you had a cable/connector problem with the ST-2 and it was not setup correctly. Did you use the transformer adapter that comes with the ST-2 and another adapter to change from a 75 ohm coax F connector to the jack on your scanner? If not, your ST-2 connection is suspect.
If you want to pick this signal up indoors you are going to need to find a spot inside where the signal is strongest. Focus on two areas: Upper floors/attic and windows. If you have a window on an upper floor facing the direction of the signal you are trying to receive, start there. Take the handheld scanner and antenna with you to find the best spot. Once you've found that, you can decide what antenna will work. It may be a small directional beam for UHF. However, a simple window mounted TV antenna like an HD Blade might work. If you can get to the attic/crawlspace, try there too. Lots of attic options are possible.

Dusco25

Very hard to tell your situation, but piecing together from your question and replies it appears the following is true:
- You can't put an antenna outside
- You want to listen to a distant UHF station using a scanner-mounted portable antenna (telescoping)
- You want to do this indoors
- An ST-2 indoors did not work
- You aren't sure about what cable to use to hook antennas to your scanner
Assuming the above are correct, then it is highly unlikely another portable antenna is going to work better indoors than the ST-2 UNLESS you had a cable/connector problem with the ST-2 and it was not setup correctly. Did you use the transformer adapter that comes with the ST-2 and another adapter to change from a 75 ohm coax F connector to the jack on your scanner? If not, your ST-2 connection is suspect.
If you want to pick this signal up indoors you are going to need to find a spot inside where the signal is strongest. Focus on two areas: Upper floors/attic and windows. If you have a window on an upper floor facing the direction of the signal you are trying to receive, start there. Take the handheld scanner and antenna with you to find the best spot. Once you've found that, you can decide what antenna will work. It may be a small directional beam for UHF. However, a simple window mounted TV antenna like an HD Blade might work. If you can get to the attic/crawlspace, try there too. Lots of attic options are possible.
I have the 50' of coax that came with the ST2 hooked to the transformer adapter and F to BNC adapter it came with.. This is what is crazy tho.. I put a paper clip in the F to BNC and it out does the ST2 by I bet 30+% ..

Last edited:

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I am trying to figure out why we are discussing "handheld antennas" and cable lengths. If the antenna is not directly attached to the top of a handheld radio, it is now using some form of mounting technique.

Sent via Tapatalk

Dusco25

I am trying to figure out why we are discussing "handheld antennas" and cable lengths. If the antenna is not directly attached to the top of a handheld radio, it is now using some form of mounting technique.

Sent via Tapatalk
in my OP I said I was looking for a handheld antenna and brought up the fact that I used a few different ones even a ST2 a user asked me a question about it so i responded.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
The cable to the ST-2 is less than optimal for two reasons:
- It may be shorted or open electrically... although less likely if it was new and came with the ST-2. You could check it with a simple multimeter.
- As was pointed out, it should be short as possible. It should be cut to shortest length and new connector put on it. Of course, then you couldn't have returned it.
Where was the ST-2? In a window? Or leaning up against some large hunk of metal like your refrigerator? Or next to a wall that has aluminum foil-backed insulation?

Dusco25

The cable to the ST-2 is less than optimal for two reasons:
- It may be shorted or open electrically... although less likely if it was new and came with the ST-2. You could check it with a simple multimeter.
- As was pointed out, it should be short as possible. It should be cut to shortest length and new connector put on it. Of course, then you couldn't have returned it.
Where was the ST-2? In a window? Or leaning up against some large hunk of metal like your refrigerator? Or next to a wall that has aluminum foil-backed insulation?

Next to a widows.. I even sit it outside on my deck area.. But even a paper clip in the f to bnc pulls it in better. The scanner is a 396xt a buddy of mine has a Pro-106 and his pulls in the tower just fine with his RS800 full bars I sit mine in the very same spot put his antenna on mine and the same as always just hearing bits and pieces of the transmissions.. Is the 396xt just a weak scanner? I may end up selling this to get a 106

Status
Not open for further replies.