Best Handheld Antenna for my needs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
Hey all,

I am using a Pro-106 with a Diamond RH77CA antenna on it right now. I am scanning Morris County Trunking System, Morris County, New Jersey - Scanner Frequencies - pretty much only listening to trunking on it. What would be the best handheld antenna I can get for it? I want great reception! I do scan some conventional (UHF) in the 400mhz range.

Also, what would be a good handheld antenna for my Pro-79 conventional scanner? I scan all over the place on that.

Thanks!

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
I'll take k9rzz's question one farther- how far are you away from this TRS site while monitoring?

I've had the RH77CA for awhile now. I like it on VHF and UHF (400MHzish) ain't bad. Higher than that it gets a bit worse, but I can't find an antenna that will beat this one yet. You'd be hard-pressed to find an antenna (especially a "tri-bander") that performs any better than the Diamond. But, since you say you specifically listen to this TRS you could try and find an antenna tuned to the specific band (or if dedicated to a TRS, the median frequency in the range). Finding an antenna tuned for the 470s specifically might be tough.

If you're a good distance away (over 10 miles from a site) you're gonna have a hard time increasing reception without a true gain antenna (like a good yagi). But finding a small yagi for a handheld (besides looking awfully funny) is gonna be even harder.

Edit: Once you replace your RH77CA with something "better," switch the Diamond over to the Pro-79, it's a great multi-band antenna.

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
I'll take k9rzz's question one farther- how far are you away from this TRS site while monitoring?

I've had the RH77CA for awhile now. I like it on VHF and UHF (400MHzish) ain't bad. Higher than that it gets a bit worse, but I can't find an antenna that will beat this one yet. You'd be hard-pressed to find an antenna (especially a "tri-bander") that performs any better than the Diamond. But, since you say you specifically listen to this TRS you could try and find an antenna tuned to the specific band (or if dedicated to a TRS, the median frequency in the range). Finding an antenna tuned for the 470s specifically might be tough.

If you're a good distance away (over 10 miles from a site) you're gonna have a hard time increasing reception without a true gain antenna (like a good yagi). But finding a small yagi for a handheld (besides looking awfully funny) is gonna be even harder.

Edit: Once you replace your RH77CA with something "better," switch the Diamond over to the Pro-79, it's a great multi-band antenna.

I put the Diamond RH77CA on my Pro-79 and I can hear the frequency I want so much more clear than using the rubber duckie stock antenna...with the stock antenna I could hardly hear it to begin with. I think what I may do is buy another Diamond RH77CA antenna for the Pro-79 so I have one for each scanner...it's a great antenna!

What would you do?

Last edited:

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
***Update*** Just bought another Diamond RH77CA antenna! What I am going to do it put the new one on my Pro-106 ;) the older one I have now will go to my Pro-79!! It really is a great antenna! I couldn't hear any weather bands on my Pro-79 with the stock antenna, but when I put the Diamond RH77CA antenna on for a minute, I heard it perfectly! Same goes for other frequencies! It works like a charm for conventional and trunking scanning!! Soon, both of my scanners will have the Diamond RH77CA antenna! Can't wait! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.