Best handheld scanner for Allegany County??

Status
Not open for further replies.

01bandit1200

Hello, I am new to everything about scanners and I would like to know what the best handheld scanner would be for my county? I want to be able to here as much as i can from everything going on. thank you

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You'll need to be a lot more descriptive of what you want to hear. Time to educate yourself - go to the blue toolbar under the site title, float your mouse over Database and start using the pulldowns and map to get to Allegany county.

You are also close enough to hear the various Combat Air Patrols when the Prez is in Camp David. Your neighboring county, Washington, just opened up a new digital trunk system. Do you ever travel that way and want to hear that? Do you ever travel to Garrett? Are you going to use the handheld in your home? Can you put up an outdoor antenna? Are you going to use it in your car?

Many questions to be answered; but answering these and no doubt other questions that will come up will help you narrow down what scanner to get

best regards..Mike

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Wife and I just went through there Wed. To pick up the kid at WVU. My GRE PSR-800 worked well. Washington Co. sounded great. Plus, since you're new to the hobby, it will be easy for your to use.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

kg4rgn

Premium Subscriber
Have BC 396T hand held for sale, asking 320$ (used) Will program it for you.

kg4rgn - Frederick, Co MD

wmbio

Mostly conventional analog and LTR conventional and passport systems being used in the county and city as of now...Digital systems for Bedford county Pa and Mineral county Wva are coming on line slowly. In 2012-13 the new Maryland statewide P-25 system is to be built on 700 Mhz, this new system may be Motorola Phase 2 digital from current reports here at RR. I would wait to buy a newer digital receiver until the models roll out next year. Any analog Uniden or RS/GRE in the $100-150 range would work fine to get you started.

Enjoy
Wmbio

You can click on the link below to listen to our local online scanner hosted here at RR.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.