Best HANDHELD weather radio available today?

KB2GOM

Yes, I know there is a thread on best weather radio, but I am particularly interested in a handheld unit that I can take with me when I'm out and about.

And, yes, I know that many scanners have a weather receive capability, but having a scanner in your car in New York State can be problematic. And I also know that some of my ham NTs will receive NOAA weather radio.

I currently have an Oregon Scientific All Hazards Alert Monitor that is several years old and doesn't have SAME capability. No, I don't have a smart phone and have no plans to get one.

Recommendations for a highly capable handheld weather radio?

Hit_Factor

Premium Subscriber
Icom M37and M93D have weather alerts.

Highly capable pretty much takes all of the consumer grade receivers off the table.

drdispatch

Old-Timer
Depending on where you're setting the "highly capable" bar, alot of FRS radios have NOAA weather radio with SAME. They're perfectly legal with no license required.

WB9YBM

And, yes, I know that many scanners have a weather receive capability, but having a scanner in your car in New York State can be problematic. And I also know that some of my ham NTs will receive NOAA weather radio.
I've had good luck with Uniden (but I'm sure there are others out there as well)...

TRGNM

I usually have a CC Pocket radio with me when I'm, "out and about." AM/FM/NOAA capable but no SAME capability. The CC Pocket does not have a collapsable antenna either. When earphones are plugged in, they become an external antenna for FM. An FM wire antenna is included if you prefer listening on the speaker.