Best HANDHELD weather radio available today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB2GOM

Yes, I know there is a thread on best weather radio, but I am particularly interested in a handheld unit that I can take with me when I'm out and about.

And, yes, I know that many scanners have a weather receive capability, but having a scanner in your car in New York State can be problematic. And I also know that some of my ham NTs will receive NOAA weather radio.

I currently have an Oregon Scientific All Hazards Alert Monitor that is several years old and doesn't have SAME capability. No, I don't have a smart phone and have no plans to get one.

Recommendations for a highly capable handheld weather radio?

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
Depending on where you're setting the "highly capable" bar, alot of FRS radios have NOAA weather radio with SAME. They're perfectly legal with no license required.

WB9YBM

And, yes, I know that many scanners have a weather receive capability, but having a scanner in your car in New York State can be problematic. And I also know that some of my ham NTs will receive NOAA weather radio.

I've had good luck with Uniden (but I'm sure there are others out there as well)...

TRGNM

I usually have a CC Pocket radio with me when I'm, "out and about." AM/FM/NOAA capable but no SAME capability. The CC Pocket does not have a collapsable antenna either. When earphones are plugged in, they become an external antenna for FM. An FM wire antenna is included if you prefer listening on the speaker.

merlin

I have a VHF GE M-PA with all the weather channels and the T99 enabled beeps when there is an alert.

w2xq

Mentor
Yes, I know there is a thread on best weather radio, but I am particularly interested in a handheld unit that I can take with me when I'm out and about.
As you are licensed, if you have an HT, why not just add the channels to the radio? I have all added to a TYT MD-UV380 HT and reception is great.

WB9YBM

I'm not sure what you mean by "highly capable" (or what's required for a radio to be that way), or what's lacking on existing radios that make them less than "highly capable". If this is related to range, I could suggest a pre-amp and better antenna like a collapsible type...

Patch42

I don't know what the OP had in mind, but to me the thing that's missing from almost all weather radios is the ability to filter on type of alert. Being able to program a county code is great, but I don't want to get jolted out of a sound sleep because there might be strong winds outside. I want to be able to limit audible alerts to only the most serious of events, like tornado warnings. My Reecom does this but it's not portable.

WB9YBM

the thing that's missing from almost all weather radios is the ability to filter on type of alert. Being able to program a county code is great, but I don't want to get jolted out of a sound sleep because there might be strong winds outside.

The same thing with the Midlands that Walgreens sells (or at least used to sell). I agree it would be nice to have it programmed by county. I'd even take it a step further: it'd be nice to be able to have it trigger on multiple counties for those cases where the user lives at (or near) the corner / border of where a few counties meet.

Patch42

The four-corner thing is one of the problems. I live in just such a situation. The weather at the northern end of my county seldom affects my immediate area. The southern end of the county just to the south is almost an hour away by car. The eastern edge of the county to the southeast is more than an hour away. To be sure I get alerted to what could hit here I need to program all four counties but I get alerts for places fairly far removed as far as intense weather goes. That's why it's so important for me to be able to filter by the type of alert. If the alert goes off for every watch and warning in all four counties I'll be woken multiple times in the middle of the night for inconsequential things an hour away. If I'm going to be woken up I at least want to to be something serious and substantial.

Not having the ability to filter on alert type has resulted in me just turning the weather radio off unless I know bad weather is likely, which kind of defeats the purpose.

merlin

I'm not sure what you mean by "highly capable" (or what's required for a radio to be that way), or what's lacking on existing radios that make them less than "highly capable". If this is related to range, I could suggest a pre-amp and better antenna like a collapsible type...
It isn't rocket science, any VHF receiver that can pick up one of the 7 weather channels. You need to filter for the alert tones, why I suggested T99 that can filter local or regional alerts.( I don't think CG can do that.)
I know Midland and Uniden both have NWS alert radios, but don't know about their filtering. Annoying just sitting there hearing broadcast all day.
My M-PA is a brick, not the lightest, but rugged as the day is long, and perfect for this chore. Scan features, you can program for marine, or MURS channels. Priority scan to weather.

Last edited:

KB2GOM

As you are licensed, if you have an HT, why not just add the channels to the radio? I have all added to a TYT MD-UV380 HT and reception is great.

Great idea! I just checked, and my Icom V80 already has weather channels, but the front of the radio gives no indication of that. And, of course, real men don't read manuals, right?

Anyway, problem solved, thanks to you. Put a Gold Star on your chart!

WB9YBM

It isn't rocket science, any VHF receiver that can pick up one of the 7 weather channels. You need to filter for the alert tones, why I suggested T99 that can filter local or regional alerts.( I don't think CG can do that.)

yeah, that's what I'm saying.

WB9YBM

The four-corner thing is one of the problems. I live in just such a situation. The weather at the northern end of my county seldom affects my immediate area. The southern end of the county just to the south is almost an hour away by car. The eastern edge of the county to the southeast is more than an hour away.

Similar situation here; Cook County in Illinois is just too darn big (and it's also been considered "too big" for other applications as well)--and I'm sure Cook County isn't the only over-sized county in the country, either.

Patch42

Check out Riverside County in California. North to south it's about the same distance as Cook County, but it's 175 miles east to west. While the area is not widely known for wild weather, it does vary significantly with mountains in the west and desert over most of the east.

I'm still disappointed that more manufacturers don't offer filtering by alert type. It seems such a natural extension to SAME county codes. I was particularly surprised to see my SDS100 didn't have such a facility given how complex it is with other aspects.

Status
Not open for further replies.