Best handheld

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullmax

What would be the best portable scanner to buy (Uniden)?
Or is there anything better than Uniden?

tampatracker

I personally think that the 396XT is the best scanner I've ever owned, I bet you'll be very happy with it if you choose to get one.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
What would be the best portable scanner to buy (Uniden)?
Or is there anything better than Uniden?

Hey Bullmax! :)

Asking which scanner is "best" is kinda like asking which is better: Coke or Pepsi? Depends on who you ask. Some people prefer Coke, some people like Pepsi. You need to consider which radio offers you the features you want. There will be those that will tell you "GRE radios are the best!". And those that say "Uniden is the best!". I have both GRE & Unidens in my collection. My everyday radio I carry with me is a Uniden BCD396XT but that is what I prefer. That does not mean it is the best, just that it fits my needs and does everything I want it to do. I would suggest reading over the specs on all the handheld scanners in the RR.com Wiki and figure out which radio YOU will like best!
Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

cdknapp

Premium Subscriber
Personally I have both a Uniden BCD 396XT and a BR 330T. Are you in an area where you need digital trunking? If not, take a look at the 330T. Scanner World - The Largest Dealer of Scanning Radios in the World has them for $199. Not as many bells and wistles as the 396XT, but it does a lot if you need to save a few $$. But I have to say that I love that 396, and I'll bet you will as well!! Enjoy!

jclarkr6

Bcd396xt

In my opinion, the BCD396XT is an outstanding scanner! I must admit that the BCD396XT is the only digital scanner that I have ever owned, but it has performed very well for me nonetheless. While everyone has a different idea of who makes the best digital scanner, I have been very happy with Uniden's BCD396XT.

Eng74

Check in the local forum for you area and see what everyone is useing in your area. I know some places I go to the 396XT works great and there are others where the GRE-500 is better. If you do not need digital take a look at the 346XT. It has some neww items that the 330 is lacking. Not that the 330 is a bad radio just older.

scannersnstuff

with all the usual caveats out of the way,i can safely state that the bcd396xt is the best handheld scanner i've ever used !.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
I own both the GRE's Pro-106 and the Uniden BCD396XT, and unless you are looking for a specific feature that is unique to one of them, I would say it would be tough to decide which was "better". If I had to sell one of them right now, I really don't know which one it would be. Like I said, they both have unique features of their own. I don't think there will ever be a radio that has EVERYTHING. If there was, it may have a much higher price tag because it would own the market without competition. But I have to say the support by Uniden (thanks UPMan) mean a lot to the newbies that have the understandable questions when trying to use these complex machines!
Bob

scannerman5555

Silent Key
I vote for the BC 346 XT scanner it's the best one ever had going back the RS pro92 /2067 scanners as good as the BC 346 XT ....... I stick with the this scanner for now work's good ! paid a good price for this scanner too $ 189.00 can't go wrong on that price

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.