Best high endurance Micro SD card for SDS series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I have used SanDisk, Kingston, Samsung.... Unfortunately, for the lower GB micro-SD cards the scanners will take, I can't really find an SD card that will withstand extreme temperature variations, multiple replays (I replay frequently) I also like to set them on "record" sometimes. -Multiple re-writes. After a month or so, the scanner starts to stop producing audio (until you power cycle it, -does it on both my 200's, new SD card, everything good for a few months again)

Not wanting to modify my habits, but wanting to know, is there a very good, solves your issues, micro-SD card that is strongly recommended for the SDS series? I'll pay for quality.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Your problem may have to do with a faulty component that measures temp... not your SD cards. Do a search for “No Audio” and see what others have posted. I believe they mention a particular component that gets replaced when sent back to Uniden repair.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Clarification; the component I mention doesn’t necessarily measure temp per se but is adversely affected with varying temps and starts to behave badly, causing the audio to shut down. It’s happened to my SDS200 a couple of times. When I suspect it is happening I tune to the National Weather Service and if I hear nothing, I turn the radio off and back on to restore power.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Have you tried the SanDisk industrial high endurance cards?

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Your problem may have to do with a faulty component that measures temp... not your SD cards. Do a search for “No Audio” and see what others have posted. I believe they mention a particular component that gets replaced when sent back to Uniden repair.

I have had 2 of the SDS200's do the same thing, replaced the SD card, and each time it quit doing it for about a month or so.

I have not. I will though.... I have a ton of stuff saved on these (RID's, TG's, multiple systems, for 3 states) so I need to ensure I have enough GB to hold it all, plus store recordings, and playback when not recording.

(No, I don't listen to multiple systems at one time, GPS is awesome)

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I know Uniden originally shipped scanners with 4GB Micro SD cards and currently with 8GB cards. Last I checked the highest capacity card they'll function with are 32GB. Is there any downsize to using the 32GB cards or is there a sweet spot for a certain size card that works better than others? I wouldn't think so but I have researched enough to know. As far as I know they're all using FAT32 formatting for scanners so it shouldn't make any difference.

Looking on-line this morning it appears the smaller size cards are not very plentiful which makes sense not that the prices on large cards have come down in price so much. The higher quality cards are typically larger 32GB & up.

Reactions: RRR

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

I don't think they make a "industrial high endurance" card. It's either one or the other. From what I read the industrial cards are better suited for high temperatures up to 85c and the high endurance are better suited for numerous reads and writes.

• Sad
Reactions: RRR

phask

Premium Subscriber
I have had 2 of the SDS200's do the same thing, replaced the SD card, and each time it quit doing it for about a month or so.

I have not. I will though.... I have a ton of stuff saved on these (RID's, TG's, multiple systems, for 3 states) so I need to ensure I have enough GB to hold it all, plus store recordings, and playback when not recording.

(No, I don't listen to multiple systems at one time, GPS is awesome)

To be safe, put a copy on your PC, or a thumbdrive. One copy of important data is never enough.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I don't think they make a "industrial high endurance" card.

From the SanDisk listing:
Product description
Capacity:1 Pack
These high endurance, industrial-grade solutions offer extended product life cycles. Combined with proactive Health Status Monitor on the cards, our industrial solutions reduce the total cost of ownership per system by eliminating costly redesigns and re-qualifications, and minimizing unnecessary maintenance calls. Advanced memory management FW features power immunity, auto/manual read refresh, ECC, wear leveling

SanDisk claims otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.