• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Best Holster For XL Series Portables?

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
I’m looking for recommendations on holsters for the XL200P with big battery, no LTE. I’ve been carrying a 100P in an OEM shoulder holster… the one that covers the screen leaving only the speaker and top controls exposed.

Does anyone have experience with something similar for the 200P?

Thanks for reading!

-B

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
I don't own one of these but it seems like a good holster

They look nice, but I really need an over the shoulder design that protects the screen and keypad. I’m looking for max protection in a shoulder sling style so I can clip the speaker mic to the shoulder strap.

Thanks,
Brian

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
Like for a radio strap?
Ya, and without the D swivel. I know it’s specific, but this one I got from New London for the 100P is freakin perfect. Totally obscures the keypad and LCD and has a thick piece of foam at the bottom to protect from drops. Nice leather too!

Thanks for your help!

-B

12dbsinad

You can get a OEM leather case specifically designed for a radio strap with D rings and no swivel.

12dbsinad

Also they make a standard battery case and extended one so make sure dealer gets the right one because obviously it will not fit

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
Not OEM but these are available with D rings for strap use. Zero9holsters.com

Dt
These look sweet and the price is definitely right! Anyone have experience with them? They look like they are kydex… anyone noticed any long term scratching when taking the radio in and out? It is exactly the level of cover I’m looking for!

Thanks for posting!

-B

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
Another option is Caseguys. Very good quality, nice tight fit.
Ya, I like CaseGuys!! Problem is, they don’t seem to have an option for XL200 that covers the keypad and the screen. Ya I like to fiddle, but it’s really nice to be able to drop it in the holster and know that those parts are protected. Likewise, if I’m going to be handling the radio and using anything more than the top controls, I’d rather do so without a bulky case. I guess I’m alone in that!

-B

Techholder88

I was quite happy with the form and fit of Zero9holsters. Its a pretty tight fit but I was so happy I bought 2 for my XG-100P (one was the Molle attachment, one was the Bladetech) and several other of their holsters for other radios that i own. I don't own an XL-200 but was very happy with all the other models I purchased. I don't use it everyday but I haven't run into any issues with scratching so far with any Kydex products I own.