BEST indoor antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blkops

What is the strongest indoor antenna available. I live approx 40 miles from the mexican border and I would like to pick up more radio traffic.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
40 miles with an indoor antenna, depending on the terrain and frequency, might be pushing it. You would have somewhat better luck if you can get it higher, say in an attic, as clear of obstructions as possible. A beam is your likely candidiate, such as the Grove scanner beam.

73 Mike

Blkops

mainy 100's & 400's Mhz I'm looking for a WB antenna that gives me the best all around coverage. I live about 3500 feet above sea level and about 2000 ft above the city, with no obstructions of any kind facing south towards mexico. I saw a base discone antenna that was for indoors, however I wasnt sure how good it was. It was about 3 feet in height. I'm looking for something easy not because I'm lazy, I was injured in Iraq and installing an antenna up high is just impossible for me to do. I was thinking about sticking an outdoor discone antenna on about a 6 pole outside to at least give me a beter chance to pull in more traffic.

I have a BCD396T

Last edited:

N1BHH

Indoor antennas are the worst. Outdoors you will hear fine. Indoors, you'll pick up your toaster, your electric blanket and any number of other appliances inside as noise sources. Use your air conditioner to mount a mag mount antenna and you'll be better off. I have antennas both inside and outside, those outside work much better. Again I say, there is no best antenna indoors.

hoser147

First of Thanks for your service, if you have to use an inside antenna, I would consider the Diamond 77 great little antenna for the range you want to cover............Hoser

Blkops

hoser147 said:
First of Thanks for your service, if you have to use an inside antenna, I would consider the Diamond 77 great little antenna for the range you want to cover............Hoser

is it this? RH77CA

RH77CA.JPG

Dubbin

Feed Provider
Nothing wrong with that if you're putting it outside. Heck, some people even have them in their attics.

Blkops

I live in a private neighborhood that is very strict with appearance etc. Its kind of crappy, they run it like its the nazi regime....Its ridiculous

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.