Best indoor UHF scanner antenna for apartment use

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrtl92

Premium Subscriber
Anyone know a good antenna to pull in mostly UHF 460mhz-ish stuff and maybe if possible some 700mhz traffic with some really good range? I need something that i could use indoors since i cant install anything outside or on the roof. My current setup is able to pull in a repeater transmitting 100W from about 60 miles away but thats about as far as i can get. Im looking to pull in some other repeaters that are about 100 miles away that also transmits at 100W

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Something tuned and directional pointing out the window at the target MIGHT give you some results but I wouldn't count on it. Everything has it's limits and you're probably beyond the capabilities of the antenna and transmitters.

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
Was using MFJ-1724b for years. Could pull in signals from max 30 miles away. Just recently acquired a Maxrad MUF4505 - really not much better. Also use a KD9VBR SlimJim for VHF and works great. Again, max of 30 miles.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Anyone know a good antenna to pull in mostly UHF 460mhz-ish stuff and maybe if possible some 700mhz traffic with some really good range? I need something that i could use indoors since i cant install anything outside or on the roof. My current setup is able to pull in a repeater transmitting 100W from about 60 miles away but thats about as far as i can get. Im looking to pull in some other repeaters that are about 100 miles away that also transmits at 100W

If you look at the FCC license for the system you want to listen to, you'll see that the mobile frequencies are given a specific area around the repeater where they are permitted to transmit. If you drill down into the license, you'll see something like "30km radius around xxxx. "
When they design/build the system, coverage is expensive. Great pains are put into choosing a repeater location, tower height, antenna type and power level to provide the best coverage in that specific area. Spreading RF outside that area is wasted energy/effort/money.
So, yes, you can very often listen to a system well outside it's intended coverage area, but it is not a guarantee. 100 miles away is -really- stretching it. If topography is in your favor, it's possible, but no amount of indoor antenna is going to overcome 100 miles of hills, mountains, dirt, buildings, curvature of the earth. UHF is more prone to topographical shielding than VHF low or VHF high is, so you've got that working against you also. The tower height needed to overcome 100 miles of earth curvature is pretty extreme. The atmosphere can assist in some situations, but relying on skip/reflections to make it happen isn't reliable.

You can absolutely give it a try, but anyone that tells you that brand X or model X antenna is going to work doesn't understand the realities.

Your best choice would be to try the longest yagi antenna you can fit indoors, but if it doesn't work, you're basically S.O.L.

jrtl92

Premium Subscriber
What is your current setup that seems to be working pretty well?

I have a HDTV UHF/VHF Yagi antenna that has a power booster in it. I get the best results with it sitting vertically rather than horizontally as the picture shows

This one:

Status
Not open for further replies.