Best Mag Mount Mobile Antenna For a HomePatrol 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg43545

From reading other threads here I know this can be a loaded question, but I would appreciate input on any antenna one might recommend as the best Magnetic Mobile Antenna available for a HomePatrol 2 and why.

I have done some searching on the web and have found the Procomm 290M/SMA which seems to be a good antenna.

Scanner Radio Mini Magnet Mount Mobile Scanner Antenna - w/SMA Connector

It is the size, type, and approximate budget I have in mind, but again I'm open to all suggestions.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
It all depends on what you will be listening to, the distance you'll need/want and the "aesthetics". I have been using that little spectrum pigtail unit for a few years now and it works great. It's low profile and it pulls in signal very well for uhf and vhf hi. I don't have a need for low band anymore so I can't say what it does in that range. But I would surmise it's probably not a good option there. The only problem I've had is that the bottom/magnet area has started to come apart a bit.

I would get another one when it's time but now I kinda want that procomm one you mentioned. ; )

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
I'll add to the SpectrumForce votes. I use it on my POV with my 536HP. It's low-profile, discreet, can be removed easily, doesn't come in contact with tree branches, most importantly it brings in what I want it to while mobile

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I have done some searching on the web and have found the Procomm 290M/SMA which seems to be a good antenna.

Looks a lot like a 1/4 wave VHF antenna. It'll work for "all band", but so will stuffing a paperclip into the end of the antenna connector. Any piece of metal will act like an antenna...
Difference is how well it performs.

It is the size, type, and approximate budget I have in mind, but again I'm open to all suggestions.

I've been using Larsen antennas for many years. In fact, I have nearly 30 year old Larsen antennas that are still going strong and have stood up to a lot of abuse.
You can easily find cheaper antennas, but you won't find a better built antenna. They stand behind their products, you can get replacement parts if something gets damaged, and chances are they'll outlast the vehicle they are mounted on.

If I was looking for a mobile scanner antenna, I'd get this:
https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/larsen-nmo150-450-800-1050 It's a proven good performer. It's designed and built by a company that makes many of the mobile antennas mounted on police cars, fire trucks and ambulances.

Add one of these with these and be done.
https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/larsen-nmommrdssma-1098
or
https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/pctel-maxrad-bgmsmai-4524

I used links to The Antenna Farm because it's easy. They've been a good company. I've done small purchase from them when it's below the "minimum order" levels for the other vendors I use at work. They ship quickly and I've never had any issues.

You can likely find these cheaper if you shop around. Just avoid the temptation to get the cheap Chinese knock-off stuff. Avoid Tram/Browning and especially their pre-terminated cables. Not good stuff. Not worth the cost savings.

mule1075

Feed Provider
Looks a lot like a 1/4 wave VHF antenna. It'll work for "all band", but so will stuffing a paperclip into the end of the antenna connector. Any piece of metal will act like an antenna...
Difference is how well it performs.

I've been using Larsen antennas for many years. In fact, I have nearly 30 year old Larsen antennas that are still going strong and have stood up to a lot of abuse.
You can easily find cheaper antennas, but you won't find a better built antenna. They stand behind their products, you can get replacement parts if something gets damaged, and chances are they'll outlast the vehicle they are mounted on.

https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/larsen-nmo150-450-800-1050 It's a proven good performer. It's designed and built by a company that makes many of the mobile antennas mounted on police cars, fire trucks and ambulances.

or

I used links to The Antenna Farm because it's easy. They've been a good company. I've done small purchase from them when it's below the "minimum order" levels for the other vendors I use at work. They ship quickly and I've never had any issues.

You can likely find these cheaper if you shop around. Just avoid the temptation to get the cheap Chinese knock-off stuff. Avoid Tram/Browning and especially their pre-terminated cables. Not good stuff. Not worth the cost savings.
I agree with you on the larsen I have used them as well. I was just staying in the OP'S price range. That being said the spectrum force antenna does quite well.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the recommendation, I appreciate it. Can you advise why you think this is the best antenna for my HP 2?

I use the spectrum force as my mobile with an HP 2 daily. It does a good job all around over all bands. I listen to VHF/UHF/700/800. I also use this antenna as my outdoor antenna at work. Again, it does better than the Larsen Tri-band I had used previously (not bashing the Larsen). For the small size of the spectrum force, it works incredibly well.

Greg43545

It all depends on what you will be listening to, the distance you'll need/want and the "aesthetics". I have been using that little spectrum pigtail unit for a few years now and it works great. It's low profile and it pulls in signal very well for uhf and vhf hi. I don't have a need for low band anymore so I can't say what it does in that range. But I would surmise it's probably not a good option there. The only problem I've had is that the bottom/magnet area has started to come apart a bit.

I would get another one when it's time but now I kinda want that procomm one you mentioned. ; )

I will be listening to some police, fire, and EMS VHF radio and some 700 MHz public safety band of the Northwest Ohio Regional Public Safety System in the 30 mile or less range. Aesthetics is not much of an issue if it is similar to the Procomm or Spectrum Force.

Greg43545

or

To set up this system I would have to purchase both the Larsen NMO150/450/800 for $39.95 and the Larsen NMOMMRDSSMA for $39.95?

Greg43545

One of the "reviews" on the SpectrumForce Website said it has " horrible SMA connections to the coax. They will work well for anywhere from a month to 6 months then you suddenly stop receiving. "

Has anyone experienced a similar experience with the SpectrumForce?

blackbelter

for over 10 years my Larson Tri Bander has performed well above any other antennas . Just upgraded to their new version with better structure and same great RX results .

Bob1955

From reading other threads here I know this can be a loaded question, but I would appreciate input on any antenna one might recommend as the best Magnetic Mobile Antenna available for a HomePatrol 2 and why.

The BEST magnetic antenna I've used is the Hustler as that by far, had great all band reception. It held on to my SUV going over 80 mph but for the Highway Patrol, you could be fine with the one Amazon.com sells but HUSTLER is still TOP notch before going to a Diamond and spending a lot more money.
Have a nice Saturday mid-afternoon.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
One of the "reviews" on the SpectrumForce Website said it has " horrible SMA connections to the coax. They will work well for anywhere from a month to 6 months then you suddenly stop receiving. "

Has anyone experienced a similar experience with the SpectrumForce?

I know the HP1 is SMA equipped but is the HP2 the same? If so, then you'll have to get a BNC adapter. I don't like the SMA on my HP1 so I don't use it. Therefore I can't say what the deal is there. My spectrum force is BNC and it's been fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.