Best Mag Mount Scanner antenna?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided I'm going to try to run MY BC9000xlt from a mag mount antenna mounted on my window sill. I am still looking into options for getting my outdoor antenna coax inside w/o drilling.( you guys have had some great ideas! thank you) But for now, what are some good mag mount scanner antennas? Who has experience with them? any links for me? Thank you..

k8mcn

cowboymike1971 said:
I decided I'm going to try to run MY BC9000xlt from a mag mount antenna mounted on my window sill. I am still looking into options for getting my outdoor antenna coax inside w/o drilling.( you guys have had some great ideas! thank you) But for now, what are some good mag mount scanner antennas? Who has experience with them? any links for me? Thank you..

you said you were gonna mount it on your window sill?
Is your sill metal? If not you will have to mount the mag mount to the top of a file cabinet, or put it on a cookie sheet, or a round pizza pan works well
Remember that aluminum doesn't count---------good luck..YMMV

Why spend the bucks on the mag mount though if your intentions are to move outside ASAP?
Buy the scantenna, set it up in the corner of the room, bet it does as well as a mag mount on the window sill, and looking at it every day it will give you motivation to get it outside....plus i bet with it sitting in the corner, if you have an XYL it will motivate her to motivate you :) :)

Nasby

I have one of those on my car. It works very well on all the bands I scan (VHF-hi, UHF, 800 mhz.).

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Mag mount antennas are like ugly women, just because you found the best, don't mean it's all that good.

af5rn

Grog said:
Mag mount antennas are like ugly women, just because you found the best, don't mean it's all that good.
ROFL! Ain't that the truth. Even my Austin Spectra is practically worthless on a mag mount.

As a great man once said, "man up and drill those holes!" :D

FDNYOPS

Premium Subscriber
i have the maxrad one, and its picking up just as well (if not better) than the old radioshack mag mount one...

VA3QRM

cowboymike1971 said:
Look up the MFJ-4602 @ any ham dealer's website, I have seen similar non MFJ products @ ham swaps as well. Likely losing a few dBs, but who's counting?

Last edited:

lugoffman

stevolene said:
that larsen is a fine looking antenna, but it looks like it gets pricey once you buy the nmo mag mount along with it

Yea it can be i guess , But I found mine to be pretty cheat under $65 at cheapham.com. I called him and asked him about the prices and he cut me a good deal

As for tring to get somthing that you dont have to drill a hole for , I really dont know another way that you can, Other than you can call the guy at cheapham.com and ask him hes a real good guy to talk to. His number is on his websight I dont have it off hand right now sorry . Good luck !!

Status
Not open for further replies.