best magnet mount for RS 106

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

retiredmich

Looking for a better magnet mount for my truck to use on my RS 106. Already have a 6'' 800mhz antenna with a self made magnet mount on top of my truck. Looking for something better. Any suggestions ?

topgun1986

Premium Subscriber
I use the Radio Shack 200-0032 magnet mount. I have one for my personal truck, one for work truck and one for wife's car (when we travel). I just take my Pro 106 between all 3 as needed.

When driving on long trips, if we hit traffic, I just go to the CB band in the Search bank and can here the big rigs talking back & forth about why there is a delay, alternate routes, etc. Very handy.

Civil Air, VHF & UHF Public Safety, 400 MHz trunked systems all come in strong.

It even picks up my local utility company (which is in the 800MHz band). Also handy after bad storms and power outages.

My range is limited to about 30 miles on a good day. But for about $35, I have been very pleased.

joeuser

The Wretched
I use the Radio Shack 200-0032 magnet mount. I have one for my personal truck, one for work truck and one for wife's car (when we travel). I just take my Pro 106 between all 3 as needed.

When driving on long trips, if we hit traffic, I just go to the CB band in the Search bank and can here the big rigs talking back & forth about why there is a delay, alternate routes, etc. Very handy.

It even picks up my local utility company (which is in the 800MHz band). Also handy after bad storms and power outages.

My range is limited to about 30 miles on a good day. But for about $35, I have been very pleased.
+1 and Hustler makes a good vehicle mounted magnet mount - Hustler MRMB -
3 Oz. magnet, 12' RG-58U with BNC, 33" whip - Covers 30-50, 148-174, 430-450, & 800-950 MHz.

R

retiredmich

TOPGUN1986, I was looking at the antenna you were talking about ( 200 - 0032 ) is there any kind of adjustment to the antenna, like a CB radio antenna that need "swr" adjustment , or do you put it together & that's it ?

Looking for a better magnet mount for my truck to use on my RS 106. Already have a 6'' 800mhz antenna with a self made magnet mount on top of my truck. Looking for something better. Any suggestions ?

I had the Radioshack antenna you are talking about topgun1986 and mine broke on me. I actually had two of them and both broke. I use Laird and PCTEL antennas. You can try a low profile 800MHz antenna. I have an 800MHz antenna that works great for me by PCTEL. I will post you a link tommorow.

Last edited:

joeuser

The Wretched
I don't think a cb antenna works with a scanner.
It will work on low band stuff better than anything else. Antennas can be had to certain areas of the radio spectrum. Based off what I recall from other posts you've made the Radio Shark or Hustler could suit you well. However, a more specialized antenna for 800's would pull in our Kansas TRS better but then you'd suffer with sub par performance on UHF & VHF.

R

retiredmich

The 800mhz antenna I have now is a 7''RS800mhz antenna, I think my question is this, IS there a better magnet antenna to receive the 800mhz frequency's ?

topgun1986

Premium Subscriber
No, I have never had to adjust the antenna for SWR purposes. I just put it together per the instructions, slap it on cab of pickup and go. I keep the one on my personal truck on year round. I move it around occasionally to keep it from creating a rust spot.

R

retiredmich

Thanks to all for your reply's I appreciate it. I'm just trying to create something better. Have a good day.

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
I don't think a cb antenna works with a scanner.

Got any reason for that belief?

It would certainly work, but how well it would work is another question. It certainly won't wreck your radio or anything like it. It won't be resonant on any of the common public service bands but for a receiver that isn't necessarily a problem. It will become more directional toward the zenith and away from the horizon as frequency increases. That may or may not be important.

Will it be an optimal antenna? Not likely. Will it work? Certainly it will. Will it work well? Likely not.

It will certainly work better than no antenna at all, and if it's outside of the passenger compartment it will likely work better than a rubber ducky inside the Faraday cage that most car interiors do a good approximation of.

joeuser

The Wretched
Got any reason for that belief?

It would certainly work, but how well it would work is another question. It certainly won't wreck your radio or anything like it. It won't be resonant on any of the common public service bands but for a receiver that isn't necessarily a problem. It will become more directional toward the zenith and away from the horizon as frequency increases. That may or may not be important.

Will it be an optimal antenna? Not likely. Will it work? Certainly it will. Will it work well? Likely not.

It will certainly work better than no antenna at all, and if it's outside of the passenger compartment it will likely work better than a rubber ducky inside the Faraday cage that most car interiors do a good approximation of.
Yes, well done! ...

Status
Not open for further replies.