• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Best method to attach cable to car

Status
Not open for further replies.

K6DDL

what tape have you found best to attach antenna cable to the surface of a car? I have the cable running across the roof and through the weatherstripping, but I can't find a good method to hold the cable alongside the weatherstripping in the door frame. Electrical tape doesn't stick.

Thanks

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
There isn't any tape that is going to work well for any length of time. Anything long-term would require drilling holes to mount the wire clips/retainers. And if you're going to drill holes, then you should just do a permanent mount and run the coax inside between the headliner and sheet metal. Magnetic mounts are for temporary, not long-term applications. A properly-done permanent install will work better and have lower SWR.

mule1075

Feed Provider
what tape have you found best to attach antenna cable to the surface of a car? I have the cable running across the roof and through the weatherstripping, but I can't find a good method to hold the cable alongside the weatherstripping in the door frame. Electrical tape doesn't stick.

Thanks
Wire ties wrapped around the weatherstripping will work in the short term.

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Get yourself some "Gaffers Tape". It's like Duct Tape on steroids. I've used it in some installs to keep coaxial cable up out of the way under/above headliners.

Make sure you clean the area where you are going to attach the tape, any grease/dust will reduce the effectiveness of the adhesive.

An installer at a former employer used plastic tie wrap blocks RTV'd into place, then tie wraps run through those. It worked better than I expected it to. I don't know how well that would work in a door, though. They did it up the outside of the windshield.

dmg1969

I used the tie wrap blocks from Radio Shack on my last vehicle when I had first used a magnetic mount. I had the coax coming in through a door jam and it worked very well to hold it exactly where I wanted it. Granted, that was hidden behind the doors and not exposed directly to the weather. I'm not sure how they would hold up then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.