Best Mobile 800MHz antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
Guys i need to buy the best Mobile antenna i can get besides the Antenex Phantom any other suggestions? A NMO mount will be used.

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
I am actually not going to use it on the car i don't want to use a discone in the back yard so i thought of instead using a mobile antenna.. I have the phantom and theirs nothing wrong other it has to be surronded by 18" of metal... I was looking at Groves Omni II antenna

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
for the car its great, but like i said it needs 18 inches around it of metal to work good or so i have been told...

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
prcguy said:
Check out this guy’s site. http://www.northwestradio.com/interceptnw/antennas.htm
He tested gobs of mobile antennas and there is one particular 800 NMO style that seems to stand out. It’s a great site in general for those who like to play with commercial antennas for monitor purposes.
prcguy

Thanks... Looks very informative.. One of my larsons is their and tested going to read up on it now... I may move my NMO5E825B to the back yard from the car...

prcguy

An 800MHz antenna should be fine in the middle of a 6” disk of metal for a ground plane. 18” around (36” dia.) is good down to VHF hi band.
prcguy
Chrome69 said:
for the car its great, but like i said it needs 18 inches around it of metal to work good or so i have been told...

mlevin

I use the antenex 3db gain model with very nice indoor results. I have it on an NMO mag-mount attached to a metallic window cill.

AggiePhil

What about these low-profile antennas? Are they any good? Those are what I always see on PD cars, so they must be fairly good. I don't know how much they run though.

mobile_1.jpg

wyldman

I've tried a few of the low profile ones,the same ones off of the police cars.They are great when your close to a tower (like in a big city),and really cut down on interference and stuff,but they suck for pulling in weak signals.

AggiePhil

prcguy said:
An 800MHz antenna should be fine in the middle of a 6” disk of metal for a ground plane. 18” around (36” dia.) is good down to VHF hi band.
prcguy
Does the metal need to be magnetic? I have a huge stainless steel desk that I could put an antenna on, but since it's good stainless, it isn't magnetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.